1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dicktard NFL Players

Discussion in 'Politics, Guns, and a can of Whoop Ass!' started by 3175375, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

I would have just edited this in to my last post but as usual my thoughts run long and some might not realize the addition if done that way so...new post.

The NFL is a business. Owned by a group(s) of people who for surely profit and in many cases love of the game are part of the league. Players have been and will continue to be fired for their actions both on and off the field. Being found guilty, or even suspected of crimes is certainly one such reason. Being stupid is another. Guys have lost lucrative jobs for missing flights or being late for meetings, etc. You know what the real reason players lose their jobs? They are jeopardizing the team's (owners) profits. It's a business. Kapernick is not a very good NFL quarterback but there are guys on rosters much worse. He doesn't have a job because his actions made him toxic. His skill set lines up with a least a few teams with QB needs, even if in back-up roles, but the fan reaction (read probable money loss) far out way any player value. Plus I'm sure that some ownership has a simple bias against him for his political action on the surface. It's their right, by the way.

So what does this all mean? Ownership absolutely has the right to fire players for their actions political or otherwise. Trump's call to them was spoken through the voice of a businessman. I personally don't think that voice is of a very bright one in those terms but in this case I actually agree with him. If a player's actions are detrimental to the performance potential of the team or could negatively influence the value/profit of "my" franchise investment, hell yes I would have firing them as an option should they not be willing to act according to team expectations.

Notice how the NFL has positioned itself in all this now. The talking point is "UNITY". Nothing more. Smart. Dodge the politics and just go with a generic position NO ONE will find offensive. They have the teams STANDING with their arms intertwined or such. Quietly, this will become the norm and/or simply fade into the background...where it should be on the field. The lone holdout players may still kneel, etc. Next year those players who are not marquis...don't fill the seats and sell jerseys...will also fade away. Right off a roster. It's business. Feelings and such have no place. That's how the world works.

This is a business of Sunday entertainment. Billions of dollars are in play around the sport. It will not and should not tolerate political pollution. Not on the field.

And just to put perspective out there on all those great charity foundations "players" operate. They are businesses in which lots of people make money. Lots of money. You will find family member and friend after family member and friend on the paid employee roles of almost all of them. And just like the big name charities, it's usually meager amounts of the money coming in that find the way to the actual charity beneficiaries. Not saying there are not some unbelievable efforts and off the field accomplishments made by some NFL players just that most of that stuff is simply another part of the businesses they themselves use to profit off their NFL notoriety.

2. gt289

gt289 Member

Public businesses can't discriminate.......... total BS. Ever see the sign hanging that says we "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone?"
    (Under federal anti-discrimination laws, businesses can refuse service to any person for any reason, unless the business is discriminating against a protected class. At the national level, protected classes include: Race or color)

I was a Commander in the USN. The normal standing orders on the bases is to cease movement, stand at attention (salute when in uniform)
    and if in civilian attire, stand at attention....... the hand on heart may be specific to that base CO's directive.

3. Horseplay

At the risk of sounding like an old fart...wasn't all that long ago it would have been crazy to ever think such a thing. EVERYBODY just felt it the natural, right thing to do. God, Country and Family and all that stupid crap. How quickly things can turn to shit, huh?

4. MD69Boss

MD69Boss Suspected Troll

Surprisingly good conversation here, for the most part.
    As a two tour vet, I feel respected to see protests against injustice in the form of long, very long term systemic racial discrimination in all corners of this country. The President has caused the uproar by planting the seed that those protesting are somehow unAmerican sons of bitches. These protesters, are exercising their rights, rights for which I gave up the best 11 years of my life, so that they, you and I can indeed very publicly protest. What good is a protest if not done in a way that will get the most exposure. In the Army, there was no choice, once flag is raised you are required to stop and salute, period; a very different circumstance. I am certainly not trying to change minds, just giving another perspective here, my perspective...

tarafied1 likes this.
  5. Horseplay

Exposure is required so that a message can be heard. If the exposure is viewed negatively the message falls on deaf ears. People offended by the actions will not rally to the cause.

Aaron Rodgers spoke before the game yesterday, the the media covering it excessively, asking the fans to stand and lock arms as his team intended to do during the anthem as a show of support. Not only did they not do so, they chanted USA as it began. Aaron Rodgers, to the cheeseheads of WI, is damn near a god and usually if he said jump they jump. They didn't jump. It's not that they don't believe in the "cause", they (and a large part of America) don't agree with how the protests are conducted.

I think this thing has hit its crescendo after this weekend. The public is very short on attention span. We will see where it goes. Hopefully, those who are really behind it will find a better way and means of messaging to keep it going and maybe even effect some change. One has to wonder though that if they had at first thought to STAND as one under our flag instead of kneeling how it might have gone.

tarafied1 likes this.
  6. Mach1Rider

Mach1Rider Member

If exposure is what they want, They got it. They have been exposed for the lack of common sense they have to the fans and the people of this country.
    IF they are so involved in change then use their statements OFF the field of play.
    Afraid they won't be heard, Well maybe they need to refine their complaints and back them with TRUE FACTS not media talking points.
    I wonder how well this type of protest would be viewed if it is done by major league baseball players?

7. rbohm

rbohm Active Member

first let me thank you for your service to this country. one of the things you fought for was the right to protest peacefully.

there is however a time and place for everything. politics has been entering the sports world for years now, and the fans are growing tired of it. the sports arena is not the time or place for protesting by the players. it is a time for them to do their jobs and play the game they were hired to play.

it would be like you standing up in a briefing for an upcoming mission, and make a statement about something not related to the mission at hand, and forcing your views on the entire platoon. how would your superiors react to that? not very well i can tell you.

as i have noted time and again, these players have star power. they can go out and get on the talk shows, the news shows, write articles for magazines and newspapers, etc. and get their message out in a proper manner where it will be heard. they can also set up and run picket lines in front of police stations, and city hall, as long as they dont interfere with the day to day operations. they can also make their case to the various city councils when they meet. they can even testify before congress, i mean who would not want arron rodgers, or tom brady, or even colin kaepernick to address their body?

a lot of americans see these protests at the games as the players sticking their middle finger out at the country, and the people, like yourself, that defend the country, as well as themselves, and they dont like it at all.

C6ZZGT, Grabber70Mach and msell66 like this.
  8. 70 StangMan

70 StangMan Well-Known Member Donator

Well I had some respect for you and your opinions.....now, not so much.
    Aaron and Charlie say it best.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  9. blue65coupe

blue65coupe Well-Known Member

Chelsea Manning....

"All that stupid crap", I hope I missed the sarcasm. Otherwise, I'm with Dale.

10. 70 StangMan

I tried to see it as anything other than what it said ( sarcasm, joking, some deep thought shit that Terry does ) before I posted my response, but for the life of me I couldn't see it as anything other than what it is and what it said. Every time I read it my stomach turned ( and still does )

11. msell66

msell66 Burning Fossil Fuels Donator

Me thinks you are misreading Baldy’s comments.

12. turq66

turq66 Well-Known Member

Sensitive bunch here.

msell66 likes this.
  13. 70 StangMan

I would like to think so.

14. 70 StangMan

You're God Damn Right !!! ( for once )

tarafied1 likes this.
  15. Horseplay

Really boys? Not sure how you guys could NOT see the sarcasm. Maybe I should post more on these threads so you can get a better feel for my head and heart. Yep. More sarcasm. In Duane's defense, perhaps when you wrote about kicking that door in maybe you went head first instead?

16. Horseplay

Me. ;)

17. blue65coupe

No, but I am only 6 months out from the skull fracture.

msell66 likes this.
  18. blue65coupe

I saw that, beautiful.

19. Mach1Mark

Mach1Mark Ramrod extraordinaire Donator

I'm surprised you didn't know this, Terry

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem
    (a)Designation.—The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
    (b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
    (1) when the flag is displayed—
    (A)individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B)members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C)all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
    (2)when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.