• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Drum to Disc conversion kits?

Maybe this has been discussed ad-nauseum, but I'm looking to convert to front discs and I'm looking at Wilwood's Classic Dynalite. It's in the mid-$600 range and the upgrade to 4-piston sounded appealing. Then I ran across some other kits from CSRP and Chockostang. Could anyone chime in about the differences? Price-wise, they're all in the same $650-$750 range. I appreciate the help.
Current setup on my 1967 Coupe has drum spindles up front, non-power braking and 17x8 wheels up front. May look to also convert from C4 to T5 and ditch the ram link steering for a Borgeson box, too.

give the folks at chocostang a call.
they will help you out.
very nice people.

I believe the Wilwoods are more intended for drag racing. There use to be problems with the Wilwoods increasing the track and issue with tire clearance. I think it was something was 1.5" wider over all. Something to check out before pulling the trigger. Chocko and CSRP kits are basically reproductions of the factory disc brakes which were pretty good.

I wouldn't recommend anything from Wilwood in a front kit for $600. Post up the part number you are referencing so we can have a look.

I have Wilwood at all four corners on mine. Haven't driven it yet but getting close. I can tell you that my front set-up was three times that price and it is not top of the line so I don't know what you get for so little. Their stuff is very nicely made. Well engineered and machined. Back in the day, they added a half inch to the track width on either side but that is not necessarily the case anymore. You can get set-ups that do not widen it today.

Long term the Wilwood path will always cost you more. Custom rotors etc. Nothing factory stock. Lots of options for really good brakes that would cost less up front and long term. What is your overall car budget and where do brakes fit into it?

Wilwood p/n: 140-13476. Classic Series Dynalite Brake Kit - Front. They're cheaper elsewhere, like CJPonyParts or Summit Racing. I've confirmed that these won't affect track width at all. Some of the fancy kits will move it out .09mm, which is barely anything in inches. Budget? Don't really have one, but I'd say $600-$1k at the high end and that would need to include front and rear. Rear brakes being a later to-do item. Dan at Chocko was really nice. I am tempted to do track days, but honestly, that would be very infrequent. More of a daily/weekend driver, if anything else.

Those Wilwoods would give you the ability to brag about the brand you had but wouldn't do anything great as far as performance beyond a stock set-up. For the money i would say you are better off getting a kit that is made up of stock Ford parts. You would have the same or better level performance and save cash in the long run. Maybe even upfront in kit cost.

Thank you, I appreciate that perspective. So, then based on your praise on a stock Ford setup, which of the kits from CSRP could you recommend? They have a 4-piston, iron caliper kit for $579, p/n: Swap 1.4. Or they have Swap 4.4, a 2-piston, aluminum caliper system, adapted from the '99-'04 SN95 era. I know either one of these is a considerable improvement over manual 4-whl brakes, but can't determine how the 4-piston iron compares to a 2-piston aluminum. More sounds like it would be better, but modern design usually has the benefit of development, too. Thanks again.

Honestly, for a street driven car the stock 2 piston is more than fine. Those modern cars weigh a lot more than your classic. I had an 02 and braking was never an issue...and I was not kind in my driving style!

Back