• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dry Run: Unusual COTM nominations: "The One That Got Away"

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
We're going to run another COTM thread this month, but it won't count or be official. The idea is to see if there is enough interest in a COTM contest in the future with some unusual rules.

Typically, someone nominates another person's car. For this contest, that will be hard to do. Why? The COTM nomination has to be a Mustang that you once owned, have not owned it in the past five years, and you have to show proof that it was your car. Think of it as a contest for "the one that got away and I wish I had it back". How do you prove it was yours? A picture with you in it, a scan of a registration, a judging sheet with your name on it, etc. Submit as many pictures as you like; only one of them is good enough for the proof.

This may be a tricky contest, and I'd like to see how many of you can compete. If we have enough contestants and interest, we can run the contest (maybe with some rule changes) sometime in the future.

Here's my 1984 Mustang GT. Bought it new in August of 84 and drove the pi$$ out of it. First pic is when it was still original silver and then after I fixed some rust and repainted it. Both pics are pre 1993. When I sold it in 94, it had over 130,000 miles on it. A buddy still says he sees it every once in awhile.

When it rolled 100,000 miles I made sure to make a memorable event out of it. Let's just say it was going as fast as it could possibly go and it outran a Chevy at the same time.

1984MustangGTsilver.jpg

1984MustangGT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Mark misunderstood, YOU have to be in the pic, not Eugene Levy.

Just to be fair I'm searching for my pic with my old '70, be forwarned I was shirtless after waxing it in the La. heat...that should bring this competition to a screeching halt.. :sm_TMI
Jon

Here's my '86 GT... I bought it new from a local dealer in Oct '86 that traded a bunch of 4x4 F150s with a dealer in Buffalo New York. Throughout the summer of '86 it was tough to find any GTs on the dealer lots for more than a few days. This dealer scoffed up a dozen or so and had them all sold off within a week while getting $2000 over sticker. Fortunately mine didn't have A/C so I only had to pay $500 over sticker... I tinted the glass, added a sunroof, rear louvers, and side skirts, and removed the air silencer off the airbox. I still have the silencer in my garage. The louvers and skirts only lasted a year or two.

stanggs_86_gt_1.jpg

I don't think I have any still pics of me with it since I took all of the pictures... I gave all of the documentation to the guy I sold it too, so don't think I have any proof of ownership.. might have the warranty card somewhere.

Here's a video of me driving it down the 1/4 at New England Dragway in the summer of '87.
http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/pics/Red_86_GT.html

He is a picture of me in my 1981 Cobra taken in 1982. Had a low powered 255cid V-8. Black leather and a T-top.
I wasn't even close to fast but was pretty cool in it's time.

Attachments

• 295_28_01_10_8_13_03.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 145
I'll throw in my early production '65 fastback. It was a plain jane with nothing more than a Poppy Red, black standard interior, 3 speed manual, 200ci six banger car. I bought it when I was 17 for a princely sum of $900 and it was also my very first Mustang.

After transferring to Texas the car stayed in SC. A guy followed the wife into her workplace parking lot one day trying to buy my '66 GT which she was driving. She advised I wouldn't sell it but would sell my '65 (though I didn't know I was "going to sell it"!). We brokered a deal and I had the car transported from SC down to TX for him. He then gave it to his son who put the V8 drivetrain/suspension into it from his totaled '66 coupe. The kid then proceeded to total the fastback after only several months! :hide

I used to see the car everyday until it was totaled. Sure wish I'd kept it!

2954743250070710241S600x600Q85.jpg

The photo was taken at the Coast Guard airstation in Elizabeth City, NC while I was there for training in the summer of 1984. My father had just repainted it for me several weeks earlier and I used it to get around in. I bought my '66 GT shortly after and the '65 got parked until I sold it.

Ok, here we go, pic from March 1989, '70 with a '69 front clip, a PO must have wiped it out. I took 3rd at the all Ford drags at Biloxi MS dragstrip the year before first time drag racing 'officially'.

Car was a plain jane sportsroof with a 351W/C4, had it rebuilt .030" and didn't know anything about head work, rear gears, etc. had a holley 600 and holley intake I believe. Pretty sure it had a 3.00 rear gear which allowed me to walk most of the cars at the end of the 1/4 mi. I found. Car ran consistent at ~14.2-14.5 if I remember right. I've got pics from the drags, have to find them.

Car was totalled in 1990? taking a left turn at a stop sign onto a perpendicular street, Delta 88 came around another car into my lane and hit me dead in the drivers door. Pushed the door to touching the steering wheel at ~40mph impact. I got a cut on my forehead from the rearview mirror and a concussion. I remember looking left and seeing a headlight, that's all.

SCN_0002-2.jpg

Think I was pushing ~165lbs. there? Being colorblind I thought the car was red.
Jon

I bought Hubert Platt's 1968 Mustang in November 1969 after working with him for a couple of months

HubertPlatt.jpg

I won class at Pomona and set the SS/FA record a couple of times

SSFA10.jpg

SSFA09.jpg

SSFA08.jpg

SSFA12.jpg

17.jpg

In July 1971 I removed the drive train and installed in it my 1969 Mustang and the gutted 1968 was left outside a shop in Bradenton Fl around 1975 and later was in a junk yard. Dumbest thing I ever did!

My old 67 GT500 circa 1994 or so. I had to sell it during my divorce in 2002. Broke my heart. This was my ultimate car and unfortunately I'll probably never be able to own another one.

carpic50.jpg

carpic54-1.jpg

carpic63.jpg

carpic84.jpg

Here's me with my new 1966 Mustang . . . traded it in on a new 1967 Olds 442. What did I know (they still making Mustangs, but not Olds.)

okay, mine was nothing special. I bought a 68 Fastback to restore for my wife. It was a factory AC, 302, 3 speed. It was rusty but easily salvageable. I collected all the parts I needed but in one of the many moves I made the stupid decision to sell it rather than move it and all the parts. I sold this car and a garage full of parts for $750 about 10 years ago :roul
index.php

Attachments

• 68 FB DeKalb.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 123
"GPR" said:
I bought Hubert Platt's 1968 Mustang in November 1969 after working with him for a couple of months

Wow Rusty! A friend in Savannah located a factory "135" car (IIRC, 013) in the woods and bought it. The original motor and trans were pulled but the guy had a 427 tunnel port and C6 that he had pulled from it when he bought it. My friend bought the motor and trans first because the guy didn't want to sell the car. He later sold that to him also. My friend then went to the Ga DMV in Atalanta while on a business trip and got a title history (this was in the early 90's). The car was originally sold through a Ford dealership in Alabama, but the original buyer only had it a few months before selling it. That sale went to a guy south of Atlanta. My friend looked the second owner up in a phone book and the guy still lived there. My friend then arranged a visit with him. The car was all black primer when my friend purchased it. The second owner not only gave him 8x10 color photos of the car as raced in '68 but also told him he was good friends with Platt. He also stated he and Hubie would travel the southeast together racing their CJ's! I wouldn't be surprised if you knew or met the guy, though I never got his name. I did see the pics of the car and it was painted red, very similar to yours. My friend later sold the car, in the same condition he had bought it (or I should say STOLE it!). He made almost 10x what he paid for it! He also traded the 427 TP and trans in exchange for a complete resto of his '68 S-code California Special.

"Ponyman66" said:
Wow Rusty! A friend in Savannah located a factory "135" car (IIRC, 013) in the woods and bought it. The original motor and trans were pulled but the guy had a 427 tunnel port and C6 that he had pulled from it when he bought it. My friend bought the motor and trans first because the guy didn't want to sell the car. He later sold that to him also. My friend then went to the Ga DMV in Atalanta while on a business trip and got a title history (this was in the early 90's). The car was originally sold through a Ford dealership in Alabama, but the original buyer only had it a few months before selling it. That sale went to a guy south of Atlanta. My friend looked the second owner up in a phone book and the guy still lived there. My friend then arranged a visit with him. The car was all black primer when my friend purchased it. The second owner not only gave him 8x10 color photos of the car as raced in '68 but also told him
he was good friends with Platt. He also stated he and Hubie would travel the southeast together racing their CJ's! I wouldn't be surprised if you knew or met the guy, though I never got his name. I did see the pics of the car and it was painted red, very similar to yours. My friend later sold the car, in the same condition he had bought it (or I should say STOLE it!). He made almost 10x what he paid for it! He also traded the 427 TP and trans in exchange for a complete resto of his '68 S-code California Special.

It's to bad you don't know his name I'm sure I would have known him.

I'm hoping to get down to the Savannah annual show in a few weeks. If I can get there I'll ask him and see if he recalls the name.

Here is YellowTail and I back in 2006. A 3 speed manual 289 car that I bought for $500 which came with a crap load of extra parts such as a complete DME instrumentation cluster with autometer gauges, still in box, which now resides in Red.

Sold the car for $3900 which paid for Red's paint job.

IMG_2512.JPG

This picture was taken in 1971, I ordered the car and received it Dec 3, 1969. This one got away when I traded it for the first wife and a 1970 Maverick 170 cu in 6 banger in June 72. One month later is when I picked up my 65 Kcode, I kept it, she got everything else eleven years later. It ran good once you put on a set of headers and 4.56 gears.

355263311.jpg

Back