• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dual bowl master cylinder brake question

steveh326

this may be a stupid question but I don't know the answer... when plumbing my brake lines to my new dual bowl master cylinder, do the front brakes get plumbed to the front bowl, and rear to the rear bowl, or the other way around? Does it matter?

For drum brakes, I think they are the same size bore so it does not mater, for front disk, the rear bowl goes to the front calipers.

Also make sure you have the correct drum/disc MS.

From infinity and beyond.

Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'm using a dual bowl master cylinder from SSBC. Front disks are SSBCs also. Eventually will convert the back brakes to disk also but they're drum for now. Will plumb in a proportioning valve in the rear lines.

For Ford and SSBC, front brakes get plumbed to rear bowl. (GMC is opposite.) However, if you get a bad master cylinder from SSBC with your $1200 front disc brake kit, you'll never get them to bleed properly. In my case, SSBC had me running around in circles until I insisted they overnight me a new master cylinder. With this kit, they ship a crappy master cylinder (made in china). My right front caliper oozed black particles while bleeding the brakes from a slopshop powder coating job that got coating inside the caliper. And they acted like they were doing me a favor. SSBC's poor quality control and poor customer service Really wasted my time. Nest time, I'm going to look at Baer or Wilwood.

For drum brakes, I think they are the same size bore so it does not mater, for front disk, the rear bowl goes to the front calipers.

for disc brakes, the largest bowl gets plumbed to the front brakes. on some cars that is the front bowl on some it is the rear bowl. most fords are larger rear bowl master cylinders.

For Ford and SSBC, front brakes get plumbed to rear bowl. (GMC is opposite.) However, if you get a bad master cylinder from SSBC with your $1200 front disc brake kit, you'll never get them to bleed properly. In my case, SSBC had me running around in circles until I insisted they overnight me a new master cylinder. With this kit, they ship a crappy master cylinder (made in china). My right front caliper oozed black particles while bleeding the brakes from a slopshop powder coating job that got coating inside the caliper. And they acted like they were doing me a favor. SSBC's poor quality control and poor customer service Really wasted my time. Nest time, I'm going to look at Baer or Wilwood.

depending on your set up, i would go with a ford factory master cylinder. if you have four wheel discs, then a 2000 mustang master should do just fine, and bolts up. if you have a drum/disc system then something from a 75 granada will work well. if you have manual brakes, you can get the granada master for manual brakes, the only year you can do so.

Back