• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dumb wiring question

ko67

I am installing an aux gauge cluster made by autometer. I understand that each gauge has its own sender and ground, but there is a gauge power and power for the lights on the gauges, is there any reason that I can't make a three way splice for illumination power and tap a single source wire? I assume I should tap something in the dash light circuit rather than just an ignition hot wire unless I want the lights on all of the time. Would it be OK to tap a main guage illumination wire, or should I tap something like a parking/running light in the main lighting harness. I may be overthinking this, but I am an electrical idiot, as prior posts have indicated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kev

Tap a gauge light wire and you will also have the ability to dim them as you do the dash lights. That would work.

"AzPete" said:
Tap a gauge light wire and you will also have the ability to dim them as you do the dash lights. That would work.

+1 Any other way would be :ga

You can do the same with the power wire, and the ground wire. Just put them all together and make one ground connection, and splice into a single switched 12v source for the power. If you use connectors, it makes it easy to take them out and work on/around them when/if you need to.

Back