• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

EFI Fuel Tanks

filter.jpg

Very nice workmanship.... but.... I'm curious why you mounted the filter after the pump instead of before it? When I did mine I assumed that it would be better to install the filter before the pump... in case any debris accidentally made it's way into the tank, the filter would catch it prior to it contaminating the pump. But.... I never really investigated the best way to do it, just kinda winged it.... What was your reasoning?

"daveSanborn" said:
filter.jpg

Very nice workmanship.... but.... I'm curious why you mounted the filter after the pump instead of before it? When I did mine I assumed that it would be better to install the filter before the pump... in case any debris accidentally made it's way into the tank, the filter would catch it prior to it contaminating the pump. But.... I never really investigated the best way to do it, just kinda winged it.... What was your reasoning?

Mainly because the stock 5.0 has the pump in the tank and the filter mounted somewhere along the frame rail. Seeing that I also have a new sock installed on the fuel pickup tube I figured that should keep all the big stuff out of the pump. The MSD-2225 pump is also advertised as "This high pressure and high flow Fuel Pump features a roller vane pump mechanism which is extremely resistant to clogging and jamming." So I figured even if some small stuff was to get through it probably wouldn't affect the pump. The fuel sock seems fine enough to me to keep any crud out of the pump. If it didn't have the fuel sock on the pickup, I probably would have added a small filter ahead of the pump as well. I also think it is easer on the pump to push fuel through the filter than to pull it through the filter... If a pre filter clogs, there is a risk of cavitation in the pump which could also cause the pump to overheat and fail too... probably not likely, but just another thought I had when I went through it all. Also, If my pump did decide to break apart internally then the post filter would at least catch the pieces before they made their way to the injectors.
Make sense?

Back