• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

elec. choke, fuel sending unit Qs

blue65coupe

1-For those running carbs with e-choke, what are you using for your power source?

2-In checking for faulty fuel sending unit/faulty wire, do you ground out the fuel guage wire to the body using a small metal rod or what?

For the choke, several use the stator output on the back of the alt. since it is only hot when the engine is running.

1-starter noid?

2-rubber boot in the way?

Pete, I had it to the coil and while I've got some things apart, I was going to do what they recommend and not put it to the coil or alternator.

My choke is actually wired to the rear pin (brown wire) on the starter solenoid. On a stock harness I think it provides a lower voltage (8.4) which slows the chokes action. On the rubber boot, you can slide the choke wire along the other wire thru the boot and add the connector after the wire is threaded.

Thanks for the 'noid info. Rubber boot is referring to fuel sending unit wire and grounding it to the frame. Was gonna stick a piece of metal up there and ground to frame. Thanks again

"blue65coupe" said:
Pete, I had it to the coil and while I've got some things apart, I was going to do what they recommend and not put it to the coil or alternator.

I've never seen anything recommending AGAINST using the stator...but I do lots of crap wrong so I probably missed something.

That said, the reason I have heard to go with the stator vs. an ign switched source is that the stator only energizes when the engine is running, so you won't get premature choke opening. But I almost never make the ign hot unless I'm firing the engine. Powering the choke off the ACC wouldn't make sense, but ign side does to me.

Sorry I didn't offer any answer direct to your questions :p

Edelbrock specifically recommends not using the stator terminal for their chokes because it doesn't get a full 12V. I tested functionality this way and found that the choke never fully disengaged.

Does your coil get a full 12 volts or is it on the resistor wire? If it does, then the brown wire on the starter solenoid also gets 12 volts when in the run position.

"blue65coupe" said:
So where does everyone recommend attaching it in the engine compartment without splicing?
Not exactly without splicing, but the blower motor hot wire is a good source.

I'm using the "S" stator/ALT connection with my Holley and it's been working great. I know it's only 6-7 volts but it works for me.

Back