• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Electric cutouts

I don't have oval exhaust. I am running traditional 2 1/2". The oval cutouts weld to my round tubing. I chose them since they snug up to my exhaust and will make fore more space under the car. The should be a little tighter to the floor that way. You could use these cutouts on oval or round tubing. IMO they are a much cleaner look when they are installed.

Here is a good example of how they can tuck under the car.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1184016-dmh-low-profile-cutouts-custom-3-y-99-ss.html

Pictures do say a thousand words!
SDC10754-800.jpg

I have the round ones 3" and placed them so the motors point up into the trans tunnel and take up ZERO ground clearance and the motors are being protected from road debris and not under the body where there is a chance they might get damaged.
We also used FIRELOCKS on the header collector flanges = lots of ground clearance and no header bolts to hang down or gaskets to leak.
Ill try to get a pic tomorrow, you can't even see them when looking under the car from the back or side.

Attachments

• IMG_2329.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2330.JPG
    514.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2333.JPG
    470.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2335.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2331.JPG
    527 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2334.JPG
    475.4 KB · Views: 43
I have always tried to install any cutouts on a bend where they would get the most flow out when open. Just wondering how much exhaust is still traveling out the regular tail pipes when the cutouts are open.

Been looking where to put them on the '11.

Thought about at the bend where they start to go up for the rear axle.....
2011-ford-mustang-gt-exhaust.jpg

Or maybe closer to the front at the bend after the cats....
2011-ford-mustang-gt-undercarriage.jpg

Need to actually get them and look at where I have the room to install them.

I am intrigued! I have been thinking of these for years for ED (65). should they be before or after the "H" pipe? Or does it matter?

Mel

Does not matter before or after the H pipe. To close to the engine and the heat may cause warping. I know it would on the old style cable controlled type.

Up until the mid 80's, I had the standard cutouts that I just uncapped them. That was a hassle but the local law required any cutouts to be capped on the street. Got around that later with a rubber ball that would plug the pipe snug. Put a bolt thru it and a good spring. I could open the cable control from inside, and the pressure would pop the ball out and the spring pulled it back up under the car. The spring normally lasted about 6 months before the ball would get launched about 50 feet. Always had to watch where I opened them at.

My car is at the exhaust shop right now. I am having them put on the cutouts, new Magnaflow mufflers and custom SS 2.5" pipes. Should be a pretty sweet system. I hope to have some pictures to post later today. I hope I can get home before the snow storm comes in later today.

"AzPete" said:
Got around that later with a rubber ball that would plug the pipe snug. Put a bolt thru it and a good spring. I could open the cable control from inside, and the pressure would pop the ball out and the spring pulled it back up under the car. The spring normally lasted about 6 months before the ball would get launched about 50 feet. Always had to watch where I opened them at.

I had been thinking of doing something similar on my chevy since I'll be working on the exhaust soon... Did the spring break due to the heat, or was the ball failing somehow causing the spring to launch. I was thinking of using a modified ball collector for the valve portion with a spring and cable arrangement. I like the electrical ones, but something about making a simple mechanical system seems pretty cool too.

For the ball to be able to be pushed out of the tube, and the spring to pull the ball up and under the car, I played with several tensions. Once I got what I wanted, I found the end of the spring could only take some many launches. It would break at the mounting. A better pivot may have been worked out.

BTW, this was the first mod I did to a '57 Chevy back in '69.

I went ahead and followed 68Vert's lead, and went with the dmhperformance.com oval units. Wow these things are work of beauty, and the Dave the owner is a joy to deal with.
They are not listed on the site, but, just call Dave.

They are being installed today, so I'll report back at the end of the week.

muffler3.jpg

Nice! I still haven't wired mine yet. We have been busy getting the house ready to sell so I haven't had much time in the garage.

I don't envy you, we moved last September - it was a great time to buy a house, but the financing took a act of good to get all the paperwork done. We even had to get our congressman's office to step in to help with a certification of payment of our taxes to the IRS. It was just crazy!!!

Quick and dirty shot of the pipes tacked in, The car should be ready today, and I've already warned my wife I will be held up in the garage all evening wiring these things in! My local car group is meeting on Saturday morning, so these should wake everyone up.

muffler6.jpg

Those cutouts look like they will force hot exhaust gas onto the tranny...are you sure that's what you want?

Back