• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Electric Fans, How did you mount them?

RyanG85

I'm looking at fans for my 65 with 289. I've got an aftermarket aluminum radiator and I'm looking for the best and cleanest way to mount a fan. I'm looking at the Spal 30102120. I see some universal mount kits on the market but they dont seem to have a clean look to them. Thanks.

I went with the Contour fan - fits the BB radiator perfectly and move air like a hurricane. ~$120 dollars new from Rock Auto, I got mine local for slightly less. Then fabbed brackets from alum to hold it.

275_29_03_10_5_40_23_0.JPG

275_29_03_10_5_40_26_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford Contour? What year Contour?

I need a shroud for my electric fan, and $120 I could just buy a new fan... and be done with it.

I didn't have the depth on my El Camino to go with a deep shroud using a northern crossflow radiator, so I used a piece of 0.093 aluminum with a 3/8" offset. It works very well. I have the same radiator on my Mustang and this fan (unshrouded) would not cool the former 5.0, but it now works great on a 0.060 over 350.

If you have this same style radiator, a 3.8 liter taurus fan fits and works very well too... that's what I have on the Mustang's 331.

e_fan_shroud.jpg

95-99 Countour / Mercury Mystique. Has two fans offset, so it helps with the depth issue (none of the fan motors are in the way of the water pump pulley. Pulls a massive amount of air, each fan pulls 17 amps when running. Here's a diagram I found when I was deciding which way to go. There are a couple of tabs on it that don't show on the diagram, I used them to help mount it (shown in the pics above). Some folks have just used the plastic ties used with aftermarket trans coolers & fans (that go through the rad.), but I felt better with the hard mounted brackets.

Aftermarket replacements for it are cheap. Heck, even the OEM replacement is less than comparable aftermarket options with shrouds, etc.

Attachments

• Fan - Contour Fan.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 200
17 amps hu? Hummm, the Spal fan I using now is the Extreme Duty 16" #2807016-VUR rated at 3000 CFM. It is super loud.

How load is the Countour fans?

Not too loud, about the same as most new cars' fans. I have a 2800 cfm Derale on my truck, and they aren't much different than that. Engine running and radio on, you can hear it, but it's not distracting. IME, the OEM design fans are quieter than aftermarket for the air they move.

I use a single controller but two relays. I'd think a single relay would toast itself unless you got one of the 60 amp versions. This works well for me, since when I get the a/c going, I plan to just use one fan kicked on when the compressor is running. One should move plenty of air for the a/c.

IMO
Fan need to be behind the radiator.
Fan Shroud is absolute a must to have max cooling capacity.
Fan should be as big as the radiator is. ( no hot spots ) or dual fan.
In cooler climate, the fan hasn't to operate at full power.You can put a resistor in serie with the power lead.
With the temp switch , you can choose at what temp the fan should kick in. In hot climate sooner , in colder climate later.
Does the car have A/C ? You can override the resistor with the appropriate electrical wiring.

Here is how I did mine:

IMG_2352.JPG

Nice and simple. Used the Spal clips. Don't use the push through the radiator style found on some cheaper fans, they will pull out with the Spal. The curved blade Spal fans are quieter but I never hear my straight blade when I'm inside the car. The Extreme 16" Spal fan is really only for drag racers that need a lot of cooling quickly, it won't last long on a street car. Something like #30102120 is what you need - http://www.streetortrack.com/Spal-16-st ... tml. I use that one...

"Shaun" said:
Here is how I did mine:

IMG_2352.JPG

What are the dimensions on that radiator and what did you do to make it fit? Looks like a nice set-up!

I'd be interested in the details of it also, including make / model. Haven't seen many that are double pass. Works well with the passenger side inlet / outlet.

"mmw68" said:
17 amps hu? Hummm, the Spal fan I using now is the Extreme Duty 16" #2807016-VUR rated at 3000 CFM. It is super loud.

You and I must have the same Spal fan (HAH) and that one pulls 30A when running.

So, are the Contour fans going to pull 34A when running? Or is that 17A total?

"mmw68" said:
Ford Contour? What year Contour?

I need a shroud for my electric fan, and $120 I could just buy a new fan... and be done with it.

I have a used Contour fan for sale if you are interested. I also have a Mark VIII fan but its likely too deep for anyone to use on this forum. Send me a PM to work out the details.

Here is a pic of my Taurus with the Northern fan shroud

231_11_07_10_6_52_07_1.JPG

Here is the build thread that also has a picture of the Contour fan that I have. http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/inde ... 808.0.html

Here's how I did mine....

REREI002.jpg

Exactly how 'they' say you shouldn't do it....straight through the radiator fins with 4 of the zip attachments. Been that way for 10 yrs now, 11.4 1/4 mile passes, thousands of highway miles and 1 major accident with a tractor trailer without an issue ;0

That is how i had my zirgo fan mounted and the friggin zipties (whatever they are called) rubbed through a tube of the core and two others had started to. Its like a chrome thermostat housing, may not have an issue but eventually it will bite ya. For a small light fan it would work but the bigger fans weigh a bit too much to be supported by the core like that, IMO anyways ;)

"apollard" said:
I'd be interested in the details of it also, including make / model. Haven't seen many that are double pass. Works well with the passenger side inlet / outlet.

I have a supplier that makes them for me. Runs around $220 for the rad plus $20 for the screw on inlet fitting (available in 1-1/2" standard push on or -16An or -20AN).

Its a 28" wide dual pass. Nice thing about them is the bottom sections of the tanks angle inward so they drop right between the frame rails. I did have to ditch my battery tray and mount my little AGM battery with a mount I made right to the inner fender. I figured I'd use more weight in wire moving it to the trunk than the 16lbs this thing weighs.

I cut open my radiator support on the 65-66 so I could lay the rad under the lip and gain more room plus more open area to the incoming air. Had to make a cut out for the cap and make mounts, find hoses and also ended up cutting off and repositioning the lower outlet as they come standard pointing up and in. This shot the hose straight at my alternator. With it repositioned I was able to find an off the shelf one piece hose that snaked perfectly round my alternator. Top hose is 2 90's with a joint.

No petcock or trans. cooler in this one though...

Fan is a Spal straight blade higher performance. Let me know if you guys want a rad and fan.

"Sacbill" said:
You and I must have the same Spal fan (HAH) and that one pulls 30A when running.

So, are the Contour fans going to pull 34A when running? Or is that 17A total?

Sorry, missed this. Contour fans pull 17A each, so 34 total when both are running.

Back