• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Eliminating the Factory Tachometer Questions.

janschutz

Corn Hauler
I removing the factory tach from my 1968 Diamond Blue Mustang. I am going to go this the 3-wite voltage triggered one from Tachman.

I pretty sure that you have to plug the 2 under dash wire together that went to the tach for the car to run. Can you replace the alternator harness with the standard one? The alternator harness needs to be replace and I would like to just put the standard one in (it is also $25 cheaper).

I will be going with another tachometer that looks like the stock one but works on voltage instead of amperage. It gives a better reading when you have a pertronics.

This is the one I put in my other 68.
468-030913091943.jpeg

The tach-compatible alternator harness is there because of the elimination of the ammeter and introduction of the alternator light. It really has nothing to do with the tachometer itself, but the accompanying elimination of the ammeter gauge. Simply plug the two wires together and you'll be fine running what you have, assuming you do have an alternator idiot light.

Back