• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine Build, Opinions/Votes!

there is only one short key, about a half inch long. maybe i just move this one towards the back farther to put the crank sprocket on?

Bought a woodruff key for the crank sprocket, The cam sprocket included needs a 2 piece fuel eccentric so i have to find one..

But the BIG news is i FINALLY won a set of heads on Ebay, :yah :yah :yah

Ford SVO GT40X turbo swirls, I know they wont be as great as AFR's but at the price i paid I did a fat Wisconsinite jig.

All i need is an Oil pan and Pickup Tube to lower this little baby in the bay!!!!!

"66benchcoupe" said:
... I'll never buy anything from Edelbrock, so don't feel dumb. . .
not to hijack the thread, but can you sat why? I have owned a lot of Edelbrock intakes (no carbs or anything else) and always liked them.

Scored a Milodon 7 qt. w/ pickup tube for 132$, The heads will be here around the 10th

These heads require pedestal rockers, Some questions

What's a dependable brand?/ Will i need tall valve covers??

They Ford Motorsport Rockers are actually made by Crane. Even if you buy the Crane part number they are still labelled Ford Motorsport, so if you go with these, just buy the crane labelled ones and save some money. With the 1.7 ratio, the lift on mine is .527. I'm sure there are better, but I have no complaints with these in 4000 miles.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-4 ... /make/ford

Regarding valve covers, I've used the finned covers with the "Mustang - Powered by Ford" cast into them as well as fabricated valve covers. The fabricated covers are pretty inexpensive and look good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/62-85-SBF-Ford- ... 94&vxp=mtr

"stangg" said:
They Ford Motorsport Rockers are actually made by Crane. Even if you buy the Crane part number they are still labelled Ford Motorsport, so if you go with these, just buy the crane labelled ones and save some money. With the 1.7 ratio, the lift on mine is .527."]

I should have waited for an answer... I bought some Proform 1.6 Pedestal type rockers-

And i had my heart set on black finned Cobra powered by ford Valve covers-the old style- Hopefully i can get a set to work.

Hope the proform stuff is good quality, guess i'll find out in 5-6 days.

I think my rockers are proform. They will do the job. Does yours have guideplates? If so make sure u use chromoly pushrods. Nice build btw

Good to know- They did not come with guideplates , Was looking at the Comp Magnum Pushrods but have to figure out pushrod size. And thanks for the kind words.

Not a crazy build, but should be fun to beat on...

No need for the guideplates with the pedestal rockers, If I remember right there is U shaped bracket that spans two pedestals that has keeps the rocker in alignment.

If I were you, I'd probably return the ProForm Rockers... I purchased a set of the stud mount version from MMR when I was planning to use the cheap Floo Tek heads, but when I returned everything for a refund, I kept the Pro Form rockers thinking I'd use them on the next set of heads. When I finally got the pedestal mount AFRs I couldn't bring myself to using the ProForms and stepped up to the Cranes. When you get them, take a close look at how well the pin for the roller tip is pressed in. That seemed a little suspect to me.

On another note, I built a small block chebbie with the early twisted wedge heads... unknown to me at the time was the Comp Cams was the only manufacture still selling rockers for those heads. The Magnum Pro line is what I was forced to use at ~$350, but I must say they are very nice rockers... they are guaranteed for life.

I still have the "Mustang Powered by Ford" Valve covers if you need me to measure the depth, I can do that so you have something to compare to.

Thanks for the tip.....on the tip, I'll Take a close look at them With pics when they get in.
In the morning i should be getting a Milodon Oil pump shaft/ I have to order Head bolts

But I got my heads @ 4, and Cleaned them up Look like nice heads no scratches or chips

I set them on the block for a teaser shot,

I know they are small for the stroker, but im a poor 25 year old punk Maybe later I will upgrade but for now they will have to work

PICT7039.jpg

PICT7038.jpg

PICT7040.jpg

PICT7041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil pan came this morning, I'm impressed with the quality of it And will recommend Milodon to anyone.

The rocker arms are Not as high quality, I took Stangg's advice and looked at the front pin He was dead on, I do not care for the design at all.

Installed the Melling Oil Pump.

Only thing Holding me up is that MF cam eccentric!!, I went to O'riellys and they look at me like I'm an alien. All the other parts store places do the same.

I'm ready to break down and pull one from a junk yard! Anyone have any suggestions??

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

Stealth just for fun.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_0020-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what's a cam eccentric?

are you talking about the fuel pump eccentric you have in your pictures? or are you referring to the cam retainer?

"buckeyedemon" said:
what's a cam eccentric?

are you talking about the fuel pump eccentric you have in your pictures? or are you referring to the cam retainer?

fuel pump eccentric, I have a 1 piece, need a 2 piece.

Installed flamethrower coil,autolite 3924 plugs,new distributor,9mm ford plug wires,thermostat, water neck,timing cover w/arp bolts,crank pulley, and i'm waiting for my finned cobra valve covers to get here. But i have a Question

This is a 74 truck block, it has 3 threaded holes by the bottom of the block I had thought the back 2 were for coolant plugs, The one im not sure about is on the passenger's side next to the motor mount. It is a different size than the other 2 (smaller)Does anyone know what this is for? Should i just plug it?

Thanks for the help!

Back