• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

engine compartment paint question

I looked at a 65 GT coupe project car I'm interested in buying today. The black paint has been pressure washed off on the firewall and shock towers revealing body color and red oxide primer where there isn't body color. The body color is deliberate and not just over spray. The car has been off the road since 1981. I realize it could have been restored prior and done at that time, but everything on this car is factory appearing.
So, has anyone here ever encountered a factory painted engine compartment? Opinions?

Red oxide, yes, but not body color. I believe the red oxide was painted first, then the black engine compartment. What is the body color?

I'd guess it was repainted...all of it body color and then repainted the engine bay in black after.

The only reason I ask is a respected Mustang friend said he has seen a similar thing on another SJ built 65. Seems strange to strip off the black to spray body color and the cover it with black. This would have taken place in the late 70's early 80's. Who knows...
If I buy it, I'm sure other secrets will be uncovered.

Back