• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine has to come out.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Hopefully all is well now. I smoked my 347 this last summer. Broke the block in half and melted all the pistons. Needless to say I sold my supercharger. I was tired of melting pistons. I did throw a nice 351 together using most of my old components. She runs like a scalded dog still but not as strong as the 347.

I did rewire the starter and it works. I did have a problem where the started stopped working and I let it sit for a while and then it started just fine. :shrug I do have a pretty bad oil leak now though. It looks like my pistons haven't fully seated and is causing excess blowby (crank case pressure). I installed an electric vacuum pump last year to help with this problem but the pressure is building before it even gets to boost. I will try to add another PCV and if that doesn't do anything I will add a belt driven vacuum pump and see what happens. When I have that done I will take it back to the tuner to have him touch up tha car again. I am having some issues where the car wants to die when I push in the clutch and coast to a stop.

I haven't had time to look at it and won't likely be able to for a few more weeks. We are about to move in a new house and that will occupy most of my time. Another distraction is I picked up my new project, 1968 Volvo P1800. I have some V* power in mind for that project. :yah And no that car will not have a blower or turbos. Just a mild mannered 450-500 hp LS chevy.

This is my first post here. I stumbled upon this via google.

This is da-ja-vue for me.
CI HYD roller, 226/246 .603/.590, comp 851 lifters shimmed. 1/8th preload as per jay. power died at 6400.
driving home from work and the car just died on me. towed it home.
Long story short, lifter broke at the same place as yours, where the body hold the roller. it broke, the lobe jammed up against lifter and sheared the cam pin AND bolt. the threads were still loc-tited in the cam. 4 more lifters with the pins coming out.

I sent comp all the parts. They said it was their lobes. All my parts were over a year also, as it sat for awhile.
Literally comp said the cam failed and caused the lifters to fail. i shit you not, i recorded the conversation.

Comp gave me a half credit on the lifters and cam. i found a rough spot in the ultra gold rockers, which have a lifetime warranty fyi, so replaced them.
i got lobes 3192/3113. 224/242 .605/.587 XE HYD lobes, closest they had.
Then i bought the 838 solid rollers. lashed them at .008 hot.
So far so good. it keeps the power past 7k now, but i cant spin it that high.

DSC02907.jpg

DSC02906.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02914.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks. I spoke to my tuner last week and he said they recently had the same problem. Comp Cams told them that they had a batch of bad lifters and replaced his stuff. Of course it was less than a year old. They have since done a redesign of the lifters. I did not want to give the dog bone lifters another shot at killing my engine so I went with Tie bar lifters this time around. Cross my fingers.

Back