• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine mounts

Peter Easton

I was trying to fit a pair of cast iron HiPo exhaust manifolds onto my 19641/2 D Code coupe but found that the left hand side header was hard up against the shock tower whereas the right hand side had plenty of room. The manifolds originally came off my 1966 convertible which fitted fine. I just assumed that they would fit the coupe. The motor sits central in the engine bay & both of the engine mounts seem to be in good order. I there any adjustment available in the earlier engine mounts?

The reason the manifolds fit on your '66 and not the 64 1/2 is specifically due to a difference in motor mounts. The 64 1/2-65, early 66 mounts for the hi-po (specifically BECAUSE of the exhaust manifolds), were unique to that engine. They were made of unobtainium for quit sometime and VERY expensive when you did find them. If you want to go for the original style motor mounts that work, you're now in luck. They are now reproducing the entire set up, rubber insulators and both cast pieces. I know Virginia Classic Mustang sells the pieces separately and as a complete kit.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.c...g-and-GT350-Motor-Mount-Kit-Pair-P482285.aspx

Thanks for the replies. While the Aussie dollar is sinking like a rock, anything bought from the USA for a Mustang at the moment is unobtainium.

Thanks for the replies. While the Aussie dollar is sinking like a rock, anything bought from the USA for a Mustang at the moment is unobtainium.

Hey-- I'm looking for '66 manifolds, but I new to the forum... Not sure I can buy/sell yet?

I think I have a set of Stock Exhaust Manifolds from my '65. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Back