• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

EPS on the cheap

Hey guys, I got this idea from another forum I am a member of. I'm installing a EPS from a Saturn vue. Yes you can order an EPS set up from a couple of places but they can be pricey. Ill have under 200$ in mine when done, and the ones that have done this mod all seem very pleased. I haven't driven mine so take it as you will.

You'll need a control unit from http://epowersteering.com/

The EPS column can be found in the following vehicles:
• Saturn Vue - from 2002 to 2007
• Chevrolet Equinox - from 2005 to 2007
• Pontiac Torrent 2005-2007, not 2008
• Saturn Ion - from 2003 to 2006 - only in steering column with metal ECU case

Here's what I purchased for 50$ because the ignition switch was missing....

Last edited:
I tore it apart and mocked it up the way I thought would work best. I pulled the control box off the unit and soldered the wires to remote mount the box for more room.

Heres what I ended up with.

I cut the mustang tube just past the mount and went to my local exhaust shop and had them make me an adapter.

The tube with the flange in the prior post is from the vue and I wanted to use it for the mount but it is paper thin so I made the thicker piece and welded it to the tube. Slid the exhaust adapter onto it and welded them together.

excuse my crappy welds, I'm pretty new to TIG.

I took the inner mustang shaft and cut it down and the splinded part of the vue column and cut I in a lathe and made an adapter to marry the two together.

The mustang column has an inner tube that needs a new lower mount made. I took a large washer that barely fit on the tube and welded it on, then machined the washer to slide into the column.

Welded the washer from the previous post buy drilling a hole in the column tube. You can just see the washer through the hole before I welded I assembled the column so it would be straight.

I bolted the mount to the eps and bolted the cut column into the car and slid the eps motor into the column and clocked it so it would clear the clutch and hide as high up under the dash as possible without modding the pedal support.

Once that was determined I pulled it all out and welded it up. Finished installing the shaft.

Even after my reinforcement of the mount I wanted a little more bracing. I made a quick tab that bolted to the EPS and the column mount. Please excuse the crooked hole, I forgot to lock down my mill table and it walked on me a bit.

I also drilled a hole so the wires would come out in a different spot and made a small cover out of some plastic material.

I also removed the factory vue mounting points on the unit so I could tuck it further under the dash. I still need to install my steering gear so I can finish the install.

Nice work and write-up. Keep it coming. We love this stuff around here. Oh, and welcome to the Fix. Seems like you are just the right type to fit right in here. BTW, we are looking to fill the last slot in our annual fantasy football league. If interested let me know!

That's a crowded thread over there. I think this build is deserving its own thread. Lots of unique stuff going on with it that I haven't seen before and that most folks don't have the tools to even attempt to duplicate. Keep it up! Nice pictures too.

That's a crowded thread over there. I think this build is deserving its own thread. Lots of unique stuff going on with it that I haven't seen before and that most folks don't have the tools to even attempt to duplicate. Keep it up! Nice pictures too.
agreed

Thanks. I get to use these tools at my job.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks good so far, where'd you get the Powersteering parts from, someplace local?
I'd like to add something like this to my Falcon when the time comes to keep the underhood clean.

Looks good so far, where'd you get the Powersteering parts from, someplace local?
I'd like to add something like this to my Falcon when the time comes to keep the underhood clean.
I picked up the vue column from my local salvage yard. Told them what I was looking for and what I was doing with it and the said they had a column they'd sell cheap because it didn't have the ignition switch. Asked for the electrical pig tails as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nice work man !
Question : is this setups sensabilithy self regulated by the cars speed?
I mean , EPS sensabilithy should be less when the car speed climb.
comprende ?

The controllers that I have seen are usually setup like a rheostat where you twist the knob to increase or decrease the assist provided by the EPS unit.
The driver can either set it and forget it, or they can adjust it manually while they drive.

The controllers that I have seen are usually setup like a rheostat where you twist the knob to increase or decrease the assist provided by the EPS unit.
The driver can either set it and forget it, or they can adjust it manually while they drive.
that's how mine is. I turn it up when parking and I could leave it. When on a long road trip on the highway I do turn it down but it's more out of habit now than need. It is not over sensitive in my opinion. I've heard some are working on a speed sensitive control for aftermarket EPS but I also hear the liability on such a unit is pretty high keeping them from going to market with it. Anyway, I used an old seat belt warning light under dash bracket to mount the knob. It's quite convenient
knob.jpg

Back