• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Evapo-Rust is fantastic

blu67

Decided to try out Evapo-Rust on a hood latch and I have to say, the stuff works amazing! Cleaned all the rust off within about 12 hours. I left it in the solution for about 48 hours total because I was out of town and no issues. All rust removed. Rinsed it off, dried it and shot some primer on it and it's like new. If you haven't used it before, there are no fumes, you can get it on your skin without repercussions and you can re-use it. I didn't have pics for this use but will be using it again this weekend and will take pics then. Not expensive either. Just my 2 cents.

I've used it and a lot of others. It was ok. I'll tell you what was even better and cheaper. Phosphoric acid. It actually changes rust into a water-soluble material that can be rinsed off. It leaves the surface in a state which will not rust easily if left bare. Additionally, it serves as an excellent "primer" over which you can apply a protective finish like paint. I use it all the time on fresh metal projects. Months later they remain bare metal and are still rust free. By far the best stuff I've ever used. Pretty sure that over priced POR Metal Prep stuff is nothing more than the same acid.

I buy it at the local Menards hardware big box store.

Last edited:
Evaporust is a favorite with the concours crowd, as it won't touch paint; paint markings can be unmasked after soaking, but will wash off when cleaning the part after soaking.

I put my old torque wrench in Evaporust- the first is a test and the second is after dunking the whole thing, with no protection for the paint. The plastic handle and paint on the dial were unaffected. After rinsing I applied Boeshield. There are small pits where the chrome is just gone, but overall that's pretty amazing.

Attachments

• rust2.jpg
    rust2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 11
  • rust3.jpg
    rust3.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back