• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Explorer 8.8 build DIY COMPLETE!!!

"hsr65" said:
Stangg,

Thanks. Make sense. Guess what I just finished cutting off of my housing... Maybe I can use an extension bar and get all the way out to the bracket that the brake plate mounts to.
you dont want to do that... i wanted to press both tubes out of my housing, and ripped the end flange clean off of the tube on the small side. it also folded one of the leaf perches over. Mine had some rust and took quite a bit of effort to pop the tube out. a 4 ton ram wasn't enough. a 10 ton was needed.

"lethal289" said:
you dont want to do that... i wanted to press both tubes out of my housing, and ripped the end flange clean off of the tube on the small side. it also folded one of the leaf perches over. Mine had some rust and took quite a bit of effort to pop the tube out. a 4 ton ram wasn't enough. a 10 ton was needed.

So what are you thinking/suggesting, welding the sway bar bracket back on temporarily?

I got so inspired after reading this thread that I ran to the local pick and pull and scored a 2000 explorer limited slip with disc's for a measly 80 bucks. I grabbed an extra short axle as well. So I get all this home and get to work, pulled the long tube and cut off 3 inches reinstalled it and I still have a one inch off set and the pumpkin is not centered is this Normal? I understand in order to use two short axles 3inches is all you can cut without getting a custom axle made. So I assume the one inch off set will not cause any drive line issues. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks again for a great how too!

i am taking your lead on this. I purchased an 8.8 3.73 locker yesterday for my 68 Volvo P1800 project. I plan on shortening it 3 inches like you have but I have a basic question. I started taking it apart last night and got to the rotors before I ran into a problem. They are a little rusty so I can't tell if they are pressed onto the studs (doubt it) or rusted inside by the e-brake causing it to be a pain in the arse. Does anyone know if the rotors are pressed on? I took a large dead blow hammer and smacked them a couple times but they did not budge.

They are not pressed on. I am finishing up an 8.8 build and just unbolted the calipers and bumped the rotors off. Its sounds like the e-brake is frozen up inside. Will the rotor turn with the axle?

"Golfball" said:
They are not pressed on. I am finishing up an 8.8 build and just unbolted the calipers and bumped the rotors off. Its sounds like the e-brake is frozen up inside. Will the rotor turn with the axle?
+1 the drum brakes are hanging up the rotors.

You guys were right. I unhooked the e-brake cable then used a BFH to loosen it up. Looks like the axles need to come out next.

Hello

New guy here.

How do I set up the e-brake with Explorer 8.8 ?

I read some where, not sure where that you use either the 2 of the drivers side or 2 of passenger side cables from the Explorer.

Thanks

Waid

inspiration...might be having a stangfix tn/ky meet to tackle this task....get er done and get another one for the mustang...do the first one for the falcon......just waiting on the funds......i got some steeda 18x8 with 285 wheels in my shed and im dying to see how they might look on the falcon.....

Back