1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

FalkenXC's P51 Mustang build

Discussion in 'Member's Build Threads' started by FalkenXC, Sep 20, 2017.

1. FalkenXC

FalkenXC Resident Late Model Gearhead

I have not tried closing the hood with the shaker removed, no. The balls however are completely lowered. It looks like the rubber seal is moving a lot to conform to the hood and I am concerned that it is preventing it from watching. I will try again with the shaker removed to latch the hood closed.

Suggesting it does latch, what do I do to allow the shaker to occupy the same space as the hood?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. Grabber70Mach

Grabber70Mach Well-Known Member

Not sure without some pics and verification of if it closes without it. I put the factory shaker and hood on mine but it's a 2V motor. I'd make sure there is no play in the attachment points/brackets that could possibly get it a little lower if needed.

3. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

Tarafied1, your kids are blessed having you as their Father. I hope they spoil you on your birthday, Father's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sometimes just working with them on a project is a blessing by itself. Based on their success, you raised them right. Hats off!

tarafied1 and RapidRabbit like this.
  4. kb3

kb3 Well-Known Member

I am happy to take some pictures/measurements if you have any areas you would like to see....I have an 03 Mach in the garage right now. I don't think the rubber on the shaker pushes against the hood very hard on the stock car.

Grabber70Mach and FalkenXC like this.
  5. FalkenXC

Agreed, it doesn't seem like it should be the issue. The seal should touch anyway since that is what keeps water from the rest of the engine bay. It's just the only thing I can see.

Thanks for the offer to take some photos but I am not sure what I need a photo of.

6. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have good kids. I am blessed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FalkenXC likes this.
  7. tarafied1

Son have you tried closing the hood without those tools in there?!? Lol. [​IMG]

8. FalkenXC

D'oh! :Facepalm:

The obstruction in reality is about where the tools are laying in that screenshot of my Instagram for what it's worth. A little forward of the edge of the box, towards the front.

tarafied1 likes this.
  9. tarafied1

If you pop that left headlight out can you see in there with the hood closed?

10. FalkenXC

I'll be able to see through the support and potentially see the issue, yes. I'll try that too. Currently on campus all day haha

That does sound like a good idea, hopefully I'll have some luck and see something easy

11. tarafied1

Yeah. Without the shaker scoop would be a good first check. If it closes and latches you know where to focus. Then you can try to see in there maybe.

12. tarafied1

We were able to get the hood on today. It was the hood latch itself. The hood area for the latch was just enough thicker that the latch wouldn’t fit. I ground the “hook” opening bigger. It fit but turned out I ground off material on lower side and needed to take it off the upper. So I had to weld it back up and grind the upper side. Then we got it to latch but it wouldn’t unlatch. After intense effort to get the latch off with the hood closed we discovered I needed to contour the hook so that as it pivoted on the hood it wouldn’t bind. Anyway after a couple hours we got working!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grabber70Mach and FalkenXC like this.
  13. FalkenXC

I want to go into more detail about the moment the latch failed to unlatch the hood when the cable was pulled.

We had just gotten back from lunch out with all of the family. It was raining out and I had a birthday to attend so we were working pretty quick. We had grinding and welded the latch already and after a few tries, bam. Success! The hood closed.

After it latched, I looked at dad and high fived. We talked about our success and bragged about how people just don't understand what all goes into the small modifications. I took steps towards the car door and announced "now for the moment of Truth; unlatching the latch!"

I ripped on the cord and heard nothing. I didn't think it was broken or anything, just blank minded. I pulled the cord again. Nothing. I looked up through the windshield at dad and verbally said "hm. That's weird!"

The hood was stuck. Couldn't pull it up, couldn't unlatch it, nothing. Then the panic set it. How do I get to the engine? Do I have to destroy my new hood now? Break it open or even cut it open? What do I do now?

We discussed the problem briefly before I reached for a wrench. Time to try and figure out how to get the latch off. I reached through the grill and felt around for bolts. Nothing. Oh no, now it's really bad.

I turned my hand around and continued looking. I can't see a thing and it's all soaked from the rain while it was parked outside.

Wait! Was that it? I felt a seemingly round protrusion in the area of where I was expecting a bolt. The back of my fingers couldn't confirm if it was a hex bolt or not.

I stuck the wrench up there and wiggled it around until I felt it catch onto something. I looked up at dad and said "I'm not sure if this is the latch or not but I'm undoing it."

Two bolts later and the latch was undone. Thank goodness! Talk about spontaneous stress.

Hood looks great on there. Glad it's finally on!

Grabber70Mach likes this.
  14. tarafied1

Yeah, that was a bit stressful. I assumed Ford would have designed it so you couldn’t unbolt the hood latch for theft purposes. Thankfully they didn’t. I had the same thoughts thinking we would have to destroy the hood or something to get it opened.
    We both learned a little more about hood latch design though!

FalkenXC likes this.
  15. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

I'm just about done with a new remote hood latch set-up I put together to eliminate the stock arrangement and this is my biggest fear. I've overlooked some detail and once I close the hood I won't be able to get it open. Thanks for adding a bit of reality to my nightmare!

16. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

Tool chests. Drool

tarafied1 likes this.
  17. tarafied1

you are welcome