• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Family History

i have been collecting info on my family's history.i have 3 books on my Mother's side of the family, one is in Norwegian. I recently got a book on my Dad's side titled 'Grip Fast' which is the slogan for the Leslie Clan from Scotland. The book goes back to 1075. Way cool.

That is very cool. My sis traced us back to Miles Standish, the military head of the Plymouth Colony, but my family is much like Terry's. The second guy over here was caught poaching deer on the Kings land and sent to America to help populate the colonies.

My Mom's Mom is from Trondheim Norway which was the old Capital. A nearby village is named Hell. I can say I have been to Hell and back

That is very cool. My sis traced us back to Miles Standish, the military head of the Plymouth Colony, but my family is much like Terry's. The second guy over here was caught poaching deer on the Kings land and sent to America to help populate the colonies.

While I was getting drugs last year, paid for the full membership at ancestry.com and spent all my free time searching the past history of both sides of the family. I traced my grandmother's side back to include people that were in the revolutionary war and my grandfather's side back to a guy that came over on the Mayflower. Of course I think I screwed up somewhere and don't believe that, but I suppose it is possible. We might've been neighbors years ago!

I've been wanting to trace my history, but never got around to it.

All I know is that my great grandparents on my dad's side came over from Ireland. Then my grandma married an Englishman and we got the Hare name.

My mom's side is from Canada.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Family lore was that we were part native Indian. When doing the search and DNA test, that was debunked. But, if my digging is correct, the guy that came over on the Mayflower had a son that had an affair with an Indian which produced an offspring!

we have been tracing my family history as well, mostly on my mothers side. we found indian, hispanic, irsh and scott blood lines, along with being related to something like 10 presidents starting with william henry harrison. on my fathers side there is norwegian and german bloodlines.

We are so mixed. We have relations that crossed the plains in the Mormon handcarts on the doomed Willy and Martin companies, relations that came to put the rebellion down as ordered by King George in 1772, others who worked for Wyatt Earp, some Kiowa cousins even though I am not one ounce of Kiowa.

We have both rebels and Yankees during the civil war. I'm part of the McFarland clan, Amber Is part of the Irish Callahan clan.

Which as far as I know have been enemies for ever.

Ma Barker is a distant relative.

Family history can be fun.

My dad's grandmother was a light skinned black woman who passed as white in order to bread out the black in her words so we would be better off.

So when I was working for the State of CA I insisted they list my ethnic as other.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

We've run across some fun stuff in our family history as well...
On my paternal Grandmother's side, the tree goes back to 3 of the original settlers at Nantucket - the Coffin, Macy, and Starbuck families.
Another branch in that line has the REAL Pocahontas as my 12th great aunt.

My paternal Grandfather (Vervaecke) is related to the 3 Vervaecke brothers (Julien, Felicien, and Alidor) who raced in the Tour de France in the 20's & 30's. Julien was killed at the start of WW2, when an English army detachment wanted to take his house, he refused, and was shot & killed. Felicien went on to become trainer/manager for the famous racer Eddy Merckx.

My maternal Grandmother (Crow) always thought she was Indian. Nope. German, spelled Kroh.

Finally, my wife's maternal line (Knight), has a TON of royalty, going back to Robert the Magnificent of Normandy and William I, King of England. Her paternal side has a couple US Presidents. Cool stuff.

Back