• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fastback Bodyshop Update

66gt350

It's been awhile since I've logged in and given an update since some jackwaggon backed into my fastback.

After waiting 3 weeks on the other guys insurance, and then 2 more weeks for the bodyshop to get new seals for their port-a-power that died while pushing out the dent.

Most of the dent in the rear quarter came out using the port-a-power (don't mind the crappy photos), and a little hammer.

repair1.jpg

repair2.jpg

It looks like the quarter panel has been repaired sometime in it's past.

After taking off all the mouldings and taking out the windshields, the bodyshop used a chemical stipper to remove paint. That is where all the surprises came out.

bondo0.jpg
bondo1.jpg

bondo2.jpg

bondo3.jpg

bondo4.jpg

bondo5.jpg

bondo6.jpg

bondo7.jpg

bondo8.jpg

It's official...I own a Bondo Queen!! There's not one panel that doesn't have some filler in it. There's places that have bondo over paint over bondo. This car was definitely driven hard and the owner of the bodyshop asked if it was in a demolition derby! I'm still curious how you dent the roof above the windshield.

Once all of the bondo is removed from the quarter panel, the bodyshop will decide if my quarter panel is salvageable or if it will be better to replace it with a whole new quarter. He's leaning towards repairing the original.

I did have a good surprise. I had them remove the cowl to fix the leak. Last week when I stopped by I found this:

cowl1.jpg

cowl2.jpg

I was thinking that my cowl would be swiss cheese, but it's pretty much in good shape. It's looking like the water leak is around the air inlets. There's a little rust there. The shop is going to remove them clean it all up and seal it all up and paint it all black.

It's still a long ways to go...

At least it should go faster after the paint job due to the weight loss from bondo removal!! Shoot me a PM with an address and I'll get that quarter cap off to you.

At least it should go faster after the paint job due to the weight loss from bondo removal!! Shoot me a PM with an address and I'll get that quarter cap off to you.

LOL! Didn't think about going faster for the weight loss. I thought since I was going to lose so much weight over the rear axle, I'd be losing all my traction.

PM on the way.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Always a chance to find some scary stuff when you start stripping away decades worth of paint. Really difficult to tell from the pics just how bad some of the prior damage might be. Lots of colors going on!

dont get too dejected yet over the bondo. i've learned over the years that some folks have an addiction to it & think the more they put on, the better off they are!. when i stripped my 40 coupe a few yrs back, i cut close to 5 gallons off the car & most was unnecessary. in one area that it was spread about 1/2" deep in a 2'x2' spot, there was only a little "hail ding" under it all. like yours, much was over old paint & primer etc.

Back