• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finally have the parts to reassemble my engine

A

Anonymous

Picked up all the parts to reassemble the engine yesterday. Changing from stud mounted roller rockers to a PRW shaft setup. New cam, lifters, water pump, oil pump and gaskets. Reassembled the valves and springs yesterday, I still need to test fit everything and measure for pushrod length. Maybe I'll get lucky and can re-use my pushrods.

IMG_3861Large.jpg

IMG_3862Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what are the advantages to that setup?

It looks stronger, but is the valve adjustment more accurate too?

Mel

roller cam and roler lifters ???

specs of the cam ??

Looks very nice !!! :weas

Looks good Mark. Did Dean do the rocker install? How is he doing? Dean and I talked about him swapping out the tires on his Capri and giving it a go on the road course this year.

"guruatbol" said:
what are the advantages to that setup?

It looks stronger, but is the valve adjustment more accurate too?

Mel

My reason to change the rocker setup is that I've had a rocker loosen up twice (same one) and it rotated off the valve which caused lots of damage....twice! My hope is that the shaft setup will be stronger and not let that happen again (fingers crossed).

"Mach1ne" said:
Looks good Mark. Did Dean do the rocker install? How is he doing? Dean and I talked about him swapping out the tires on his Capri and giving it a go on the road course this year.

I went there yesterday and he and I reinstalled the valves and springs (I don't have a VS compressor). I installed the rockers before I brought it all home. They're just temp on there till I get the pushrods measured. Once I get that figured out, I'll put it all together permanently.

I almost had Dean convinced to track the Cobra, but he's putting money back into the Capri so I'm doubtful. He's doing really well for a guy a year ago was on death's doorstep! All his hair is back, weight back on and looks great. He still gets tired a little easier, but not bad for a guy pushing 74.

"B67FSTB" said:
roller cam and roler lifters ???

specs of the cam ??

Looks very nice !!! :weas

No, just a solid lifter setup. This is the 3rd cam I've put into this p.o.s., If you go to my Cardomain site, on page 2 it lists everything in the current setup. I'll make a couple changes to include the shaft rockers and water pump, but everything else stays pretty much the same.

I just got my Canton pan back today. Dan powder coated it for me and....WOW :pbj Much better than the original finish! I hate to install it on the engine, I should just hang it on the wall.

Oilpan1.jpg

Oilpan2.jpg

Thanks Dan, you did an awesome job :thu

Just for reference, here's what it looked like before Danno worked his magic.

Oilpan.jpg

Also got the 9" chunk with 3.50 gears from Bob! That'll be my gear set when I go to Daytona (a bucket list item)!

Big thanks to Bob for bringing both items and meeting me. Saved me 4 hrs of windshield time!! Hope the birds are flying for ya Bob :yah

I had one in .45, but I sold my Gold Cup and went to 9mm. I love Dillon's "no bullshit" guarantee, and yes that is their EXACT wording on their guarantee. I once moved and lost the pins that hold the shells in their station. I called Dillion, told them (I lost them) and they sent them out immediately, no charge for parts, no charge for shipping, no bullshit!

Finally had a chance yesterday to do a final check and fit of the new rocker shaft assembly. I had to hone the #4 intake lifter bore due to the pushrod banging it up a little when it all came apart last fall. It cleaned up nicely and after all of this it's ready to disassemble and do a final clean. I still need to swap out the softer valve springs for the break-in, but at least I'm done fitting, shimming and checking.

EngineFeb20111Large.jpg

EngineFeb2011Large.jpg

"Fast68back" said:
I'm shocked your not running a gear drive timing set..........

Well, J tried to convince me, but I decided against it :say_what

Looking good Mark! Good luck this year, I hope she holds together so you can roast a few sets of tires!

Back