• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finally have the parts to reassemble my engine

greypainterrags.jpg

It looks like the shaft mount rockers might have a lower profile. Do you think they would fit under stock 289 valve covers?

Robert

"silverblueBP" said:

Did you eliminate the bypass hose from the thermostat housing to the water pump? I can understand eliminating the heater hose from the waterpump, but the bypass hose allows the water to circulate while the thermostat is closed. Blocking the bypass hose essentially prevents the water pump from pushing any water, and is really bad on the impeller (cavitation). Youtube is blocked at work, so I can't see the car with everything buttoned up.

Congrats on getting it fired up! Now get that thing back on the track!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll pick up a by-pass hose and see if it makes any difference. It's one thing I'm sure that won't cause a massive failure!

"66benchcoupe" said:
It looks like the shaft mount rockers might have a lower profile. Do you think they would fit under stock 289 valve covers?

Robert

If you would've asked that before I finished...........

I really don't know and since I don't have any stock VCs, can't check.

If past performance holds true, those covers will be off soon and he'll be able to take some measurements.

"silverblueBP" said:
I'll pick up a by-pass hose and see if it makes any difference. It's one thing I'm sure that won't cause a massive failure!

It could cause you pump to explode, throwing shrapnel into the timing chain and locking the motor up.

Kidding of course, but you'll probably have a shorter waterpump life with the bypass hose...uh...bypassed LOL

"Horseplay" said:
If past performance holds true, those covers will be off soon and he'll be able to take some measurements.

Ouch

If I had any feelings, you might have hurt one.

Back