• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Firing orders

back in the day Ford's firing order was 15426378. Chevy's was 18436572. I do not recall Mopar's have they changed?

back in the day Ford's firing order was 15426378. Chevy's was 18436572. I do not recall Mopar's have they changed?
Ford changed it afterwards to 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 because of extremely tempory load of the front chrankshaft bearing.As I recall. right?

I'm not sure "why" Ford changed the order but they used a 351W marine cam I believe in the 82 GT 5.0 and after that all HO 5.0's had the 351W firing order

They all seem to have at least one cylinder that fires next to an adjacent one. Why is that? Wouldn't a FO of 18452736make more sense?

Last edited:
I think it all has to do with constructing a chrankshaft with the least of material and still be able to balance the chrankshaft.

the proper firing order is child predators first, then politicians, then lesser criminals like murderers, after that its the choice of the one with the gun.

Most people don't notice it but early Chevys and 289's have the exact same firing order. GM LS series changed to the 5.0/351W firing order like Ford did. It's not obvious because GM numbers their cylinders differently. Chrysler missed the boat on the firing order change and stuck with the early Ford/GM lineup.

Back