• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fixed Salmon Slayer's fishing rod

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Last week the butt cap on her Salmon rod fell off when she was aggresively yanking it out of the boat's rod holder as a biggin' was knocking at the door.

Ka-plash went the cap into the pacific. So I installed a new cap after I removed all the old dried up glue and cut off about 1/2" of foam at the base. As you can see by where the old glue was, the old cap was glued on top of the foam grip, thus being larger in diameter, each time you pulled the rod out of the holder, the holder would clip the front edge of the cap. Not the best design. But now it's all awesomeness.

Before:
7yje7ezu.jpg

After:
y5e4u9yg.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377554671.419978.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377554671.419978.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 43
So glad you could replace the end of her rod.....now it won't slip out when the waves get rough will it.

May have been a reason for the larger end........

"cmayna" said:
Since 80% of the rods do not have a larger butt cap vs foam grip, not!
There seems to be a recent focus upon butts, asses and grips; makes one wonder a bit.

Craig, I used to build fishing rods. There is a reason for the larger butt cap and for it to go over the foam. Mainly has to do with using a fighting belt! Some belts have large gambles and some have a stainless steel bar inside for the notch on some butt caps to fit into to keep the rod from twisting.

For the type of fishing she dose the cap you installed is perfect.

It looks nice, just make sure the glue you use will hold in harsh salt water.

Mel

"Midlife" said:
"cmayna" said:
Since 80% of the rods do not have a larger butt cap vs foam grip, not!
There seems to be a recent focus upon butts, asses and grips; makes one wonder a bit.

Plus Craig's seeming expertise? :dun

Back