• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Flywheel ID, and balancing question

bebop390

The transmission is out, so it’s finally time to replace my 11.5” Clutch, PP, and Flywheel in my 67 S-Code Mustang GT. About 10 years ago, I bought a new flywheel from NPD for about $99, a discontinued part. It was supposed to be the correct part for a 390 GT. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and I just I held onto it until I was ready. Now as I decide to go with an 11” McLeod (“bolts up to stock flywheel”) or RAM (need to use their flywheel) from Summit or Jegs, I am trying to determine if this thing is usable or not.
In the link below, on the left is that flywheel. On the right is the one just pulled from the car, which has been surfaced three times since I bought it the car in 87, and who knows how many times before that (car probably had either 150 or 250K when I got it).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/967551...7646581128685/

Question: Can anyone identify this flywheel? Is it something you’d run in your car, or could it be just import junk?

Also...back in 90 when I was building the engine, I sent the assembly out for balancing. The balancer requested I include my harmonic balancer, flywheel, and pressure plate. As you can see, the pressure plate (stock replacement bought at NAPA or PartsPlus or something) shows evidence of his balancing with that chunk he welded on. Don’t know if the flywheel was also balanced at the time, but there are so many big holes, so I guess he did some of them. In 1997 when the engine was out again, I got a new clutch disc, but just had the Flywheel surfaced, and PP rebuilt, or just tested, because I didn’t want to mess with the balancing work. Now, I can’t avoid that any longer.

Question: I want to be sure that the new parts, a McLeod/RAM PP + a new Flywheel (either the one above, or a new one from RAM) match the balance of the parts I just pulled off. I planned to take all four parts to a balancing shop nearby, but looking for your opinions too.

(posted also on fordfe.com and VMF)

Thanks!
Nick.

Back