• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Front end changes...

Its beer season now........guess I better shop early.

Well, that just took care of that problem.....secured what was needed for the lift to work. ahhhh

to get proper caster and camber requires a shitload of shims, more than the standard UCA bolt can handle.

Aren't '67 and up LCA's longer than 65-66 LCA's? Are you 100% sure some PO didn't mistakenly install the wrong LCA? That would certainly account for the circumstances.....

Is it possible that ORP sent you a wrong LCA? The difference in length isn't too much if I remember correctly....

It would expalin your alignment issues, that's for sure.

"daveSanborn" said:
Is it possible that ORP sent you a wrong LCA? The difference in length isn't too much if I remember correctly....

It would expalin your alignment issues, that's for sure.

Yeah, Baby! It's John's fault! Let him pay for all the beer!

I'll be glad to buy everyone here a BEER. One freeking BEER for everyone here, you have to share it.

The 65-66 strut rod will not bolt up to any 67-73 LCA. Nice try :kaid

Hey Mid,

Ever tried this one. It's called a MacKenzie Gold. I order it every chance I get. So far not one bar keep knows how to make it.

3 oz grapefruit juice
1 oz Yukon Jack® Canadian whisky

Pour the grapefruit juice and Yukon Jack into an old-fashioned glass half-filled with ice cubes. Stir and serve.

Mmmmmm ... good stuff

Ya had to tell him that mix before I got to the lift didn't ya......

By the way, I got the bolts I needed today. Actually a local purchase which is odd for around here. lol

The 65-66 strut rod will not bolt up to any 67-73 LCA. Nice try ....

John, thanks for the correction. Please explain to my aging memory why the '66 strut rods wouldn't bolt up with a '67+ LCA? Is it because the '66 strut rod end (at the LCA attach point) is "straight" and the holes on the LCA are angled to match?

Pictures would be great.....

"AzPete" said:
Ya had to tell him that mix before I got to the lift didn't ya......

Well, yea. Gives me a lift every time. :pep

YK is my favorite too. With the the initials JD, I got tired (way hung over) from that stuff and switched.

"daveSanborn" said:
John, thanks for the correction. Please explain to my aging memory why the '66 strut rods wouldn't bolt up with a '67+ LCA? Is it because the '66 strut rod end (at the LCA attach point) is "straight" and the holes on the LCA are angled to match?

Pictures would be great.....

Differnent bolt pattern on the arm, different ball joint. No chance of it bolting up.

"Opentracker" said:
Hey Mid,

Ever tried this one. It's called a MacKenzie Gold. I order it every chance I get. So far not one bar keep knows how to make it.

3 oz grapefruit juice
1 oz Yukon Jack® Canadian whisky

Pour the grapefruit juice and Yukon Jack into an old-fashioned glass half-filled with ice cubes. Stir and serve.

Mmmmmm ... good stuff

Well, I do like YJ, and I do occasionally drink grapefruit juice, but the two together? I dunno...

Wifey just got some GF juice...now to get the bottle of YJ from her scrawny hands...

"Midlife" said:
Well, I do like YJ, and I do occasionally drink grapefruit juice, but the two together? I dunno...

Wifey just got some GF juice...now to get the bottle of YJ from her scrawny hands...

Try it ... you'll like it !

The sweet of the YK is camed down by the bitter of the GF juice. OR the other way around. The more you have the better they tast. Well, I guess that goes for just about anything. Make sure it's cold with lot's of ice. Way, way .... good !

"Midlife" said:

I am sure you can make some comment that will cause her to throw that bottle at you.....

"AzPete" said:
I am sure you can make some comment that will cause her to throw that bottle at you.....

Yup. "Dearest...Pete's coming over at 7AM and he still hasn't bought that muffler yet!"

DuckNCover time!

Longer UCA bolts to enable use of more shims isn't fixing anything, it's masking a bigger problem. I'd be more concerned about moving the UCA that far away from the shock tower..... What grade "longer" bolts did you find/buy? Will the side load forces on the longer bolt hold up on such an important piece of the front suspension? It's akin to using "washers" on wheel studs to effect wheel offset..... not the best/safest of ideas.

Since Randy lives in such close proximity... and also has a first generation car.... couldn't you pull a measurement from any given reference point (such as: center to center of crossmember bolts) across the bottom and then do the same for the top? I'd rather correct the real problem.... probably an inward bent shock tower.

Loosen the fender bolts across the aprons and spread the bent tower. A hand held hydraulic spreader would be ideal, but a bottle jack could be rigged to work in a pinch.

According to the front end pros, it is not a real problem and the cars is fine to drive. Yes, there may be another problem but as stated earlier, I am not in a position to tear into the car that far at this time. I am using grade 8 bolts that I "found" at the local bolt specialty house. I have driven the car more than 5000 miles as it is so it cannot be to bad.

So far, any comparisons done to other cars have shown no noticeable differences. We have not put the two cars side by side to really compare since this is a recent thing. Like Randy said earlier, everything bolts up to the car as it should.

Changing the spring perches will not change caster angle. I don't buy that, camber, maybe a small amount.

The only way you can change caster angle on that car is to move the upper ball joint forward or backward, not up or down.

-2 degrees of caster is definitely a problem. Remember your Radio Flyer with the front axle bent back?

What were your other measurements?

Have him give you the SAI measurements too.

Back