• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel filler Mods

I guarantee you that if you ever made one for me I would be eternally in your debt and would supply cold beverages of your choice !

I have a new filler neck waiting to go in the car but I'll be damned if I can remember which pile of parts it's in !!!

I've found that keeping customers informed as to progress, however rapid, slight or non-existent, is beneficial for both parties. Six months is a long time to go without an update, but I doubt that you did that...

he PM'd me once in a while so we did have some discussion during that time, I probably could have been more pro-active in letting him know where I was

after you committed to build one for this person (pressured or not), how long did you tell them it would be to complete the task (or did i miss where you wrote this...)?

was it 7 months or was this one of those deals, where a person says periodically they will get to it in a few weeks only to discover in a few weeks it will be a few more weeks? i've had those deals and it's very irritating.

"buckeyedemon" said:
after you committed to build one for this person (pressured or not), how long did you tell them it would be to complete the task (or did i miss where you wrote this...)?

was it 7 months or was this one of those deals, where a person says periodically they will get to it in a few weeks only to discover in a few weeks it will be a few more weeks? i've had those deals and it's very irritating.
I never promised a date. I don't do this as a business. It's a favor for people on this site. If they ask me to make one I try to do it but tell everyone up front that I travel and I have limited time. Don't be in a hurry. I'm not doing this for myself. I only charge for shipping cost. I make no profit and ultimately it costs me money. I do not go looking to do this either. It just starts from word of mouth, people read this or hear about it and track me down. It would be different if I was "selling" a product or running a business but I'm not. It's like asking your neighbor to borrow his lawn mower and then getting mad at him because it didn't have a full tank of gas when you pick it up, you know what I mean? These people find me and ask me to do them a favor...

Just an idea, but if you added a vent hose just below the flapper would that not help prevent it from blowing back? Course, I have seen a many different car have gas blow back out when being filled up, even my own.

My current filler (which I haven't advertised) actually has a 7/8's tube inside the filler that runs the entire length of the neck and into the tank. It's held in place with the same "washer" type flat stock near the opening. I thought this would let the air vent while gas flows in and I think it works fine. It does however, have issues with the "auto-shut-off" no working. I don't think all nozzles are the same. They are supposed to work off of a pressure sensor and shut-off when the sense an increase in the pressure. So far my design is just not creating or allowing the pressure to build like a modern OEM filler

Very happy with my vent hose setup.
4-030411182024.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
do you ever get any problems with the nozzle not shutting off? Can you put the nozzle in on full blast and let it go with no hands?

Wow. So I am a bad apple and a douche now.

I'm not here to put gas on the fire but I think I am entitled to tell my side of the story.

I joined this site after I saw a link to this thread on another site. The splashback is really annoying so I'd like to see if there was a fix. I did not join to ask for free favours from anyone. I contacted Craig to ask if he would make me a filler neck and offered to pay for his time and work. I have never asked for free favours from Craig or anyone else.

SilverblueBP: I am not a "I want it now" person. I fully understand that as long as work is involved, things take time. It is the "I'll do it soon", and then the months go by that triggered the cancellation of this order. That is correct, I choose to call it an order since I was trying to buy something, not asking for free favours.
BTW Telling people(me) to FO is one way of doing it but Craig is more grown up than that, and so am I.

I would like to appologize to Craig if he feels bad about this but I seriously think my PM to him was read with a degree of hostility. I didn't mean for it to be that way. I simply tried to tell him that I was tired of waiting and to cancel the order.

Since english is not my native language, I appologize for all grammar errors and bad spelling.

I'll probably leave this site now so you guys once again will have a basket full of fresh apples.

Have a nice day.

Regards
Morten

Morton,
I did take your PM as hostile but since we have talked I am good. I probably shouldn't have aired the issue on here but I needed to vent because at the time I was upset. I didn't think about the English thing. And yes I should have said I just don't have time. You were right, I try to do this to "help" and don't see it as a business or an order. You did offer to pay so I guess your point of view it was an order. Or at least I should have treated it that way. But I think we are okay now...
As for the rest of the guys, many of them know me personally, we have met face to face in many cases so when I vented, they naturally come to my defense so don't hold anything against them. This is an example of how forums or emails are not the same as talking face to face.

Have you come up with a different set up for cars with the flip top caps? Am I doing something wrong?

The splash back is really annoying.

I have filled up 3 times now and tried different nozzle positions and still get gas spilling out on my bumper.

Would there be a way to run a 3/8" or 1/2" copper line from just inside the tank outlet to the top of the lip of the filler tube? It would be easy to make the tube oval shaped for nozzle clearance and the copper is easy to bend so it could be curved up towards the top of the tank to get air for venting. I just haven't figured out how to attach it to the tank end and filler end so it stays in place. This tube *should* vent enough to stop the burping?
Jon

Jon
I've kicked around something like that. I have a full length tube in my filler neck now and it works great for filling at full blast but the auto-shut-off doesn't kick it off so you have to watch the pump and know when to slow it down.
Chris
I don't know why you would be getting splashback. Everyone else seams to be having good luck.

I can fill at full blast and think the feedback from others is the same. That was the main advantage to the mod...

I used to be able to go full blast. The station I normally use got new pumps and nozzels and now I can not. I think it is due to my flip open cap, The nozzle has to be sideways and the new nozzles have a problem with that.

"Jonk67" said:
Would there be a way to run a 3/8" or 1/2" copper line from just inside the tank outlet to the top of the lip of the filler tube? It would be easy to make the tube oval shaped for nozzle clearance and the copper is easy to bend so it could be curved up towards the top of the tank to get air for venting. I just haven't figured out how to attach it to the tank end and filler end so it stays in place. This tube *should* vent enough to stop the burping?
Jon

Jon,
I assume you are referring to the tank's inlet snout? I don't know if having a line running down the inside of the filler neck would provide enough ability for the air to escape. Maybe that's why I ran an external vent tube from the top of the tank up to towards the top of the filler neck.

But it has always been my opinion that due to the right angle of the stock 67/68/69/70 filler neck the end of the pump's nozzle is forced to blast against the backside of the neck, causing more potential backsplash. Thus why I installed a 65/66 neck which I had to cut and modify the tube of the neck to make it more of a straight shot down to the tank's inlet snout.

To me, both of the above mod's has made my filling of gas so much easier.

Craig

"janschutz" said:
I used to be able to go full blast. The station I normally use got new pumps and nozzels and now I can not. I think it is due to my flip open cap, The nozzle has to be sideways and the new nozzles have a problem with that.

The station that I have been filling up at has really new pumps as well.

Back