• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Funny noise from my '69 Vert

RagTop

Old Grumpy
I was on a cruise today well up into the Sierras and, on the way home, noticed a strange sound coming from my Mustang. For anyone else old enough to remember this, it sounded like my mom's old wringer type washer during the agitation cycle. Just a rhythmic whooshing sound that seemed to get louder at speed and would drop off as I slowed the car. It would continue when the car was stopped, but it was almost inaudible. It might have been going on for some time, but I usually drive with the top down and the radio up loud. Today I had the radio off on the drive down Hwy. 50 from Placerville and, when I pulled off the freeway at Prairie City Road in Folsom, it was so loud I couldn't miss it. I drove the car across Folsom to a Chevron station. I got out with the engine running and listened for the noise. It was very faint, but seemed to be coming from the front of the engine. It didn't seem to increase in volume as I razzed the engine, but it was so hot under the hood from the freeway run I couldn't rev it too much bare handed. All my dash gauges were in the normal range. The C4 transmission seems to be working as normal, including hard shifts from the shift improver I installed years ago. Ambient temp was in the low 80s. I'm sort of thinking it might be a water pump bearing about to go bye bye. The pump in the car is a Pep Boys unit that I had installed in Reno in 2000 when I lost a water pump at Hot August Nights. On the drive from Folsom, after my stop, to Lincoln, which is about 32 miles, I took a back road route and the noise seemed to abate. Couldn't hear it by the time I got home. Anyway, does anybody recognize this strange noise? Help!

Last edited:
Before getting too far into your description, I thought "water pump"...I think you're on the right track.

Remove your fan belts and see if the noise goes away. Obviously, you can only do this for a short time...

Before getting too far into your description, I thought "water pump"...I think you're on the right track.

Remove your fan belts and see if the noise goes away. Obviously, you can only do this for a short time...
Yeah, driving it like that might be an unhappy experience.

Back