• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gauge issue

RustyRed

I drove the Mustang to work today and everything was fine. Oil pressure was reading normal pretty much the whole way here.

When I started up the first slope in the parking garage though my oil pressure went to zero. I am thinking it's most likely the sending unit or the gauge itself. Pressure was fine till then and it's not low oil pressure it's more like the gauge went totally dead so I am thinking I should be safe to drive home (about 5 - 10 minutes) and probably in reality have plenty of pressure...just having a gauge issue.

It wasn't knocking or anything....seemed to be running fine other than the gauge going dead on me.

If no noise from the engine....you might be ok. I would look under the hood and see if the wire might have come loose or something. Never liked driving one and hoping the gauge broke vs knowing .......

"AzPete" said:
Never liked driving one and hoping the gauge broke vs knowing .......

Yep...I concur.

I pulled into a spot, checked / jiggled the wire a little then fired her back up...no luck.

Unfortunately, if it starts knocking, it's usually too late. I had an oil pump lock up on me once and the only indication was the gauge reading 0 pressure. Engine ran fine for the few seconds I let it. Had her towed home to find a locked up pump and a pretzel pump shaft. I'm not a big risk taker, so I wouldn't chance it. However, I sure hope it's just the gauge.

I had to run downtown with my boss for some meetings this morning but I am back now.

I think I am going to get it towed.

Just kicking it around on the drive it seems like the pressure gauge was getting a little lower then usual before it went to zero and more I thought about it I am pretty sure I smelt a slight hint of some oil burning when I got out of the car.

Worried I might have sprung a leak somewhere and sure don't want to drive it if that is the case.

Thank goodness for AAA...the tow home is free. A hassle but free none the less.

Update...think I've figured it out.

I went out to have a look around before calling the tow truck. The bottom side of my oil filter is soaking wet with oil and there was even a small puddle / spot of oil on the ground.

Strange in that its been almost a month since I changed the oil but I am thinking that the gasket on the filter failed somehow.

I called a buddy of mine and he was free today so he's bringing me a new filter and five quarts of oil. Planning to just fix it quickly in the garage here at work.

Could be the old filter left the gasket on the block and just now slipped out. I have seen that several times in the past. Glad you decided to investigate prior to driving.

Still not sure what it was exactly other than I am certain the filter was leaking a couple of quarter sized spots on the ground when I parked....but, we changed the filter and added a quart. For good measure we unplugged, cleaned off and plugged back in the wire on the sending unit.

When we fired it up the gauge came up slowly. Checked the level again and added another 1/2 quarter. When I fired it up that time the needle on the gauge went straight up to where it normally runs.

Certain I had a leak but the oil was only about 1 1/2 quarts low.

Might be that some how the leak soaked the connection on the sending unit? Only other thought is maybe the sending unit got a clog and was backing up. Not sure but seems fixed now

Back