• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gauges no work after led install

Badass70

Well I installed l.e.ds in my stock gauge cluster they work great and so do the turn signals but after putting everything back together I realized gauges don't work.. Now I had to take the gauge cluster apart to remove the blue covers behind the gauges.. I left out the paper gaskets that seat the gauge into the cluster, did that by accident.. Would that cause the gauges not to work or is it the circuit board that partly went bad ? Im totally lost on this one and mad as hell for not checking before putting everything back together lol dam me!!! :roul

Those paper gaskets need to be in place.
Also make sure the guages are centered in the opening and not touching the cluster
or they will not work.
Many have found this out the hard way.

gasket goes between the nut and the metal housing. The gauge stud is what has the current going through it, so without those paper gaskets the nut will ground the studs out on the metal housing. HTH

well this gauge assembly is at it again... caught a small fire today.. burned up the circuit board on the back.. from the way it looks a small piece of copper was showing on the board and must have rubbed up against some metal while i was testing the gauges.. well great looks like it didnt affect the gauges themselves but just the board.. time to buy a new board wow what a PITA this is really being.. :rant :rant

Here's my tip for whenever you're working on electrical stuff. First, disconnect the negative cable from the battery. When you are done with futzing with the wiring, cluster, or harness, measure the DC current from the negative cable connector (still disconnected) to the negative battery terminal. Anything over 100 milliamps indicates something is on (e.g. a door light). Anything above 2 amps indicates a dead short. Find the short by removing fuses one by one and fix the problem before you ever connect the negative battery terminal.

yeah the battery was off while i was installing it, i have one of those cut off switches.. this happened while i was testing to see if i had the gauges were centered and to see if they were in working order with car on.. o well.. stupid mistake..

Where is the best place to buy the led's? Mustang Project, ebay or ?????????????????????

I have a 67 gauge cluster with a clock if that helps.

"Sluggo" said:
Did you get the ones that allow the rheostat to work?

Yes, I got the 5x set. They don't dim though, as far as I can tell.

Doesn't really bother me because I like them full on anyway... the dash lights were so dim before, they were pretty useless at night. Much better now, & not harsh on the eyes at all IMO.

Back