• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gay Fay Weather Reports

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Since I am now restricted to the Garage and house for the next 2.5 days, I'd thought I would provide all of you a running story of the weather as Tropical Storm Fay Wray comes to the Florida Panhandle. Right now, the first outer band is about 90 miles east of Panama City, and we've had overcast skies all day. It just started drizzling about 45 minutes ago (3PM CDT), and we're expecting anywhere from 7-10 inches of rain over the weekend. There are a lot of areas prone to flooding here, one of them on the main outlet road out of our complex (there is an alternative route that is OK to pass).

So far, the boredom hasn't set in yet.

SWMBO is deranged, that's for sure. She's hyper about storms. Everything that is movable out in the yard has been put inside, and I mean everything! She has candles, hurricane lamps, dry goods, thermos bottles, etc., all at the ready. Her weather radio is blaring. The animal cages are set up in the "safe room", ready for the 3 cats and 2 dogs to be sheltered from the poor rain and wind. She expects deathly tornadoes during every storm, and believes every weaterman/forecast that's out there, that hypes the worst case scenario.

Me? I'm gonna laze around in the garage the entire weekend, catch up on some interesting books, and nap, of course. I'll keep one open eye for a RV containing AZPete to float down the road.

I'll be updating regularly. Hope you'll enjoy these reports. Stay tuned.

And me, I am lounging as usual. I did forget to buy oars in case the bay raises 15 feet. One thing, if the water gets to high for the car, I can always run the house around town.

I won't tell about your SWMBO being deranged. If she knew you said it, you could be living in the garage.....wait.....pretty comfy garage.....hmmmm

I will call if i float your direction.

It's now 8PM, CDT. The westernmost fringes of the tropical storm rain bands have finally reached Panama City. An occasional wind gust to 30 mph (estimated), but mostly less than 10 mph and now a steady, but low rain amount. Nothing to get excited about. A typical afternoon thunderstorm is much worse than what we have now. No thunderboomies as yet.

SWMBO claims we'll lose power once the winds reach 30 mph. How she figures this, I don't know.

The local Forest Department has gone on the TV and stated that all requests for burn permits will be granted over the weekend.

The First Annual Bay Fishing Tournament has been canceled/postponed. Reports of a mass frenzy of females wearing wet t-shirts are greatly exaggerated, unfortunately.

We're overdue for a major hurricane up here. It's the one thing that really captures my attention. Our house is situated at the mouth of a small stream. The stream actually runs right between the house and the detached garage. It's pretty neat having a stream on the property. There's a spot towards the front of the property thats' a small pond-like area and there's fish, sun and snapping turtles in there. It's not unusual to see a whooping crane feeding in there... or skunks, racoons, and the ugliest animal on earth, the possum.

To gain some usable ground space between the house and the detached garage, which is located on the other side of the stream, I found some old gas station UST's and hauled them down to the property. The UST's are 7' in diameter and 20-22' long. I cut the ends off of them and lined them up in the stream bed to form a 7' diameter, 60-65' long underground culvert. Two of the UST's are made of 5/8ths inch steel, the third is 3/4" FG. I did all of this work by hand with levers, chains, come-alongs, etc.

Normally, the stream is a steady trickle heading about 1/2 mile behind us to a larger tributary and then this feeds into the sound. With a hard 5" downpour, the "little stream" turns into a raging river. I've seen the 7' diameter culverts almost completely full to the top. It's a scary sight to see the power of all of that water. When the stream bed is at normal level in the Winter months, I'll head down stream with chainsaw and axe in hand and clear any obstacles that may slow down the flow.

If I ever move, I swear I'll live on the top of a hill! Screw this "low-country"! It's WAY too much work. Keep us informed of how you "survive" down there Randy/Pete.

I'm not sure how well this is going to work, but in the exact center of the linked satelite image, you can see my bright yellow Dodge truck parked in front of the garage. ....edit.... I noticed that when the link first opens in a smaller window, my property is centered on the map. When you maximize the window, my property moves to the upper left quadrant.... To the North of the garage is the main house. East of the main house is the guest house. Just East of the back corner of the garage you can make out the dark line of the stream bed. Notice that there is no stream bed between the house and the garage... this is where the 65' culvert is. If I hadn't of taken down 40 or so very large trees, this property wouldn't even be visible. I remember when I first moved here and "google earthed" the area, nothing was visible but trees.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=34.95399,-76.94799&spn=0.003104,0.004807&t=h&z=18&lci=lmc:panoramio

Sorry to say I expect more skin, skin & then skin out here in Calif. Boring typical summer weather.

Looks like it is now projected that the "eye" of this disturbance will pass Panama City to the south just enough to be in the Gulf. Not much change in weather for us, but a possible change in wind direction for me. That is good since I am more protected from the NE and E. Just rain and wind right now, nothing real bad.

I believe that Tyndall AFB removed all the F-15's and F-22's late last night. Wife says there was a bunch of take offs late and have not had one today. Normal procedure with bad weather. Might be a good site when they return.

Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head...

6 AM. Light rain, winds maybe 10 mph. Radar shows the center of Fay progressing westward and likely passing just to the north of town. The western bands of rain are weak relative to the eastern side, so the action will likely be in the afternoon when we see the effects of the eastern band. I'll guess maybe 1.5" of rain since last night: nothing to get excited about.

The storm seems to be weakening substantially. If the storm does indeed pass north of us, we'll be saved the brunt of the worst: the northeastern quadrant, where rains and possible tornadoes usually occur.

SWMBO slept on the sofa, watching the Weather Channel all night.

I'll check back in about noon time.

Well, we didn't blow away over nite. Wind died down for us around 4am. No damage to see here. Lots of little crap blowing around from the trees. Water has not risen to any noticeable levels as suggested. Does look like we are in the center right now. The difference between the weathermans projected track to the north and this ( http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... ml#a_topad ) track model make you wonder. It is all a big guess until just before it gets to you. lol We drove this rig in worse when moving here.

Winds are very calm, rain is light drizzle at 9:15AM. It appears the center of the storm has passed overhead, and is now to the west of us. So far, this storm is a big bust. Action, if it is to visit us, should be this afternoon. I think I'll take a nap.

Aaack!

avianflu.jpg

Weather report at 11AM: winds calm, no rain. Weather reports state that areas just to the east of us are having torrential rains. Yeah, right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure looks like this "storm" is going to sit on us. I think the movement west has slowed considerably since this am. We get a few drops, then nothing and repeat all day.

3PM, and SWMBO fully believes that the Apocalypse will come tonite. Weather report from the Garage Majal:
winds about 5 mph, slight drizzle: just enough to wet the concrete. The center of the storm has passed to the west of us, but the center hole has expanded considerably. Tallahassee appears to have continuous heavy rain bands since early this AM, and that rain band refuses to move westward.

Boredom is setting in...I would even settle for a single thunderboomie.

It's not 8PM, and not much has changed. The apocalypse hasn't happened, only delayed. Maximum wind gusts in the panhandle have been 35 mph. Wow...I'm impressed. NOT.

Is the SWMBO still glued to the weather channel? Looks to me like it all may go north of us. The weatherman still predicts the worst. Kinda funny listening to them. Water hasn't even risen out here.

Absolutely glued to that damn channel! Of course, all those weathermen and local reporters want you to stay tuned, so they constantly predict the worst. Looking at the radar, it's clear to me that Panama City is not going to be hit hard with wind, let alone rain. Oh well.

I do pity the folks in Tallahassee: reports state they have gotten 10" of rain today. At the PC airport, they only report 1.07" for the past 24 hours. We've had worse in a 30 minute thunderstorm.

Oh man, such a relief that we have survived the wrath of Fay......oh, wait, there was nothing to survive, just a bit of rain and some brief wind. And the news is still trying.....

I do feel for those hit hard. Our best out to them all.

Back