• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Getting good at intake manifold gasket repairs.

68EFIvert

When I put my engine together last year I did not do a very good job putting the intake manifold on. I thought I put a big enough bead of silicon on the rear of the manifold but evidently I did not. I have been battling a small oil leak that has been getting worse each time I drive the car. On Wednesday I drove the car and spring a pin hole leak in the hard tube of the heater hose where I welded on a AN fitting. As I was looking at that I found that my intake was leaking in the rear.

I started working on the two projects last night and repaired both of them in less than 3 hours. That includes taking a break for paint to dry. Not to bad if I don't say so myself considering all the crap I have on the engine. Now I hope I have the leak fixed, both the antifreeze and oil. If not I have some oil dye and a black light to track down the leak.

Yeah the blower magnifies any small leak and turns it into a gusher. I am hoping the vacuum pump connected to a Hobbs switch will help with crankcase pressure.

I did have a small setback on my change though. As I was changing the oil I did not think to see if the gasket on the old oil filter came off. It stayed on the block and I just screwed on the new filter. Big mistake. 50 PSI of oil pressure will easily push out 2 o ring gaskets on the oil filter. My wife and I are in the process of moving out of the house and my job yesterday was to pack the garage. As I started the car and pulled it back into the driveway I leaked oil all the way back. I must have spilled 4 of the 7 qts of oil all over the driveway and garage. I now need to get more shop towels and kitty litter!!! Nominee for Dufus Award?

"68EFIvert" said:
Nominee for Dufus Award?

Sorry, no blood or injury. Just a brain fart.

That reminds me of one I had...I went to drain my oil on my previous 66 coupe. The car was cold, so I figured I'd pull the plug and let it drain overnight and that I'd finish it the next day afterwork. What I forgot to take into account was draining an 8 quart oil pan into a 6 quart container. Cleanup on isle 3. I just closed the garage door and drove to get a couple of bags of kitty litter.

Back