• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Go Ahead, Kick My...

No, not that. Actually, I need a kick panel education. I need some new kick panels, and don't know exactly what to buy. If you want to mount speakers in the kick panels, do I need to buy the panels with the cutouts, or can I buy standard panels and cut them out later if I decide to mount speakers there? I'm guessing it depends on the clearance behind the panel, no?
Also, there seems to be a lot of options on kick panels. Are they all the same, or is one brand better than another?
While I'm at it, any suggestions on audio? I have an AM radio that doesn't work now. I want to add a decent audio system with decent sound and CD and MP3 capability. But I don't want to cut up my car. I also want it to be as stealthy as possible. I was thinking about mounting the head unit in the glove box, but don't know what to do about speakers. Any suggestions?

There are many choices for kick panels. If you plan to put speakers in the panel, get the panel already made for speakers. You can even buy the panel with the speaker attached but I personally would not for you might need to find the thinnest speaker possible to help avoid having to chop any metal behind.

What year car?

Are you considering speakers in back? 6x9" in the rear window tray? Amp and boom box in the trunk? So many choices.

In the daughter's 65, I went all out with speakers in the kick panels, 6x9's in back. Amp in the trunk with a bazooka tube. Great sounding system. Did not have the room in the trunk for an amp in Shag and I really miss the quality.

Well the '65 is the only Mustang I own, so I'm thinking it's that one. :thu
I don't know if I want to do speakers in the kick panels or not, which is why I asked about adding them to standard panels at a later time. If I can do that, then I'll buy standard panels. If not, then I'll have to decide on the audio system first.
As far as your question about the rest of the audio system, I don't know, which is why I'm asking. I'm kind of wide open on that one. I have a few head units and a couple amps already, but I'm not sure I want to use them in that car. I want rear speakers, but I don't want to cut the interior up. I was thinking about putting the rear speakers in boxes to mount behind the rear seat, and make them easily removable if I have the seat down and don't want them there for some reason. But does that seem kind of hokey?
Thing is, I'm slowly moving this car in the direction of a street legal track car, but I'll also be driving it on some relatively long trips. So I want the audio system, but if I have the rear seat down and a roll bar in it, I don't want to see two big box speakers sitting there.

Where were you thinking of putting them? Do you know if they will fit behind the rear seat in a '65 fastback? Sorry, I haven't measure that area yet. They do look interesting, and they are reasonably priced. Do you have any other experience with that brand?

As a very temporary spot, yes behind the rear seat. Being only 11" long, yes there is lots of room. If I really like the sound, I would then consider removing the 6x9 and mount the undercover's on the back of the trap door.

Well I'll have that too, just as soon as I install the exhaust cutouts. :thu
But I'm a gearhead and a musician, so I gotta have both! :beer

Back