• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Going to take a hammer to Gertrude...

Oops sorry. Registered members area...

Basically its a thread about the guy who came over and looked at my 66 the other night. :amaz
Here's what was said if you don't want to register just to read it.

---------------
About to go check this out

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/ct ... 32133.html

I know it sounds like a dumb [beep] in the ad but i called the number and its a chicks car. They just moved here from outta state and shes looking at something else to buy.....we shall see

--------------
DO IT NUKKA!!.........if u DO do it, let me know fool imma come check this bish out

-------------
Sounds like a nice car, haven't seen it in person, but has some nice mods already done. Chad and yourself could get that ol pony in tip top shape in a couple weekends!

-------------
(guy who looked at it)
Not to be mean but that cars not anything worth close to that. Bondo everywere....

-------------
(guy who gave him a ride to my house)
+1, I had hell finding metal on it.....

----------------
oh wow, that sucks. Now I know why it's so cheap.

----------------
(guy who looked at it)
Needs alot of work. Someone strip it to race jerry rigged everything. No lie you had to open the door before the horn would work. Its been sprayed also. Trans lines laying on sway bar, diamond plate screw to the floor boards to cover holes. Car had one spark plug wire off when i popped the hood, guess the last person to look at it was trying to screw someone over..idk

I took a magnet (since I don't care about the paint job) and ran it all over the car. Yes, theres some bondo spots, but I had no problem making the magnet stick to 90% of the body.

Diamond plate screwed on the underside of the floor is where those bucket seats are attached. I looked because I was curious why they were there when I got it.

Whatever. Its a piece of junk and yeah.. I guess I'll just sell it off as scrap metal or go "accidently" hit a deer with it. I'd accidently let it get stolen if I thought a car theif would be smart enough to figure out how to start it.

Sounds like the guy took any issue he saw and blew it out of proportion to his on line buddies. Did you remove the add? Didn't see it under the posted add site. Don't let one bad posting turn you away from your goal. What about that dealer?

I deleted the original ad, and redid it and put the price $4,000 OBO.

I told him on the phone the car was being built to race by the PO. That is wasn't being restored by the PO to be a nice pretty dailer driver. Did he not believe me or something? :wtf

As for the dealer, he went back to only offering 3000. He was closed on Sunday and Monday and I called him 9am Tue morning right when he opened, said he bought a couple cars and a truck and best he could do was 3000 now.

Yep....sounds like he just wanted to be the cool guy among his online buddies.

As for the dealer, he is just pulling your chain. If he is a dealer and cannot swing the prior offered price, he must think you are stupid. Just hold your own and keep tinkering on the car. Fix the things that cost very little and enjoy the car. It will sell when it is time.....don't get to carried away dropping the price either.

I played around with selling my last '66 for some time. Actually had it on CL about 6 months ago or so. Several lookers but they all wanted it for cheap and tried to nit pick the problems it had. I was honest with everyone about the issues the car had. Had one a--hole tell me that when I got desperate, he would give me $7500. I politely told him to F off....well, maybe not to politely....lol. Point is, I held out and got what I wanted and the buyer was happy. Since I sold mine, two other people that looked it over real good have called wanting to buy it with money in hand.

Just hang in there and don't do anything in a rush or rage.

As for the dealer, he is just pulling your chain. If he is a dealer and cannot swing the prior offered price, he must think you are stupid. Just hold your own and keep tinkering on the car. Fix the things that cost very little and enjoy the car. It will sell when it is time.....don't get to carried away dropping the price either.

I found it almost funny that a car dealer said he couldn't afford the $4000. :eek:mg

As for fixing minor things and enjoying it. I've only driven it twice since I got it in May. Each time for about 5 minute, so I've spent about 10 min total driving it. No power steering + small steering wheel + brake/pulling issue makes me too paranoid to enjoy or it want to drive it. :lol

The brake pulling would most likely not be expensive to repair. I have fixed that problem on two cars with no money involved....just time.

My wife has driven all our Mustangs and they all have had small wheels and only one had power steering. She also suffers from several medical conditions (fibromyalgia and arthritus) that make it difficult to do things that take a lot of muscle. With a proper alignment, I bet your car would drive easier.

Am I hearing this right......maybe you want all the fun of driving a classic without any of the routine maintenance that is involved? This is a good time to evaluate your reason for buying a classic. No matter how well a car is restored, there is routine maintenance needed if the car is driven. Less restoration completed.....more work involved to keep it running.

I say this based on the time you have owned the car vs the work needed that is really easy to do....especially with the help from everyone here.

"AzPete" said:
Yep....sounds like he just wanted to be the cool guy among his online buddies.

I played around with selling my last '66 for some time. Actually had it on CL about 6 months ago or so. Several lookers but they all wanted it for cheap and tried to nit pick the problems it had. I was honest with everyone about the issues the car had. Had one a--hole tell me that when I got desperate, he would give me $7500. I politely told him to F off....well, maybe not to politely....lol. Point is, I held out and got what I wanted and the buyer was happy. Since I sold mine, two other people that looked it over real good have called wanting to buy it with money in hand.

Just hang in there and don't do anything in a rush or rage.

+1

As to the guy that looked at it. Some people have no self esteem so they try to boost their self esteem by tearing other folks down. He's a jerk, just blow it off.

Pete...the guy that told you "when you get desperate, blah, blah, blah...." I must have run into that guy when I was fixing up the old house to sell it a couple of years ago. I had several folks stop by when I was there trying to tell me "In this market..." and trying to scare me into selling it to them for next to nothing. I got done fixing up the house, listed it and had it sold in seven days for the list price.

You learn quick there are a lot of scam artist and scum bags out there that are best to ignore.

My wife has driven all our Mustangs and they all have had small wheels and only one had power steering. She also suffers from several medical conditions (fibromyalgia and arthritus) that make it difficult to do things that take a lot of muscle. With a proper alignment, I bet your car would drive easier.
I'm not the strongest person in the world and turning the wheel is hard in this 66. Husband was laughing at me because I was putting my whole weight into it. Left turns are easy though! :vic

Am I hearing this right......maybe you want all the fun of driving a classic without any of the routine maintenance that is involved? This is a good time to evaluate your reason for buying a classic. No matter how well a car is restored, there is routine maintenance needed if the car is driven. Less restoration completed.....more work involved to keep it running.
I know there's more maintenance involved with older cars. I don't mind that at all. I was actually looking forward to it. I just didn't realize how much was involved to unFUBAR the hack jobs the PO did to this poor stang. Since the body looked ok and no major dents or missing pieces, I figured I was only going to have to sand the whole body down, repair any holes with bondo but then I learn thats a bad thing and you have to weld in new pieces if you want to do it right. :shy

Have we seen pics of Gertrude?
I've posted some, but if you haven't seen her.. http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/Kats66Pny/1966%20Mustang%20-%20Before/

Kat,

The guys that came to see the car sound about as equipped to inspect it properly as the knucklehead you bought it from was to work on it. I just looked at the pics of your car again and will tell you it is far from a piece of junk. What it is is a car that has had it's share of racer wanna-be type owners. I would venture to say just about everything they did to it was not only done wrong but with second hand parts and very poor know-how. Guess what, that describes just about 90% of 'em out there. Doesn't mean the car is junk. It just needs evidence of the idiots past removed.

On the very serious side, I wouldn't drive that car anywhere until the fine job of the trunk mounted battery mount was corrected.

I've got an idea for ya. Stangfix is loaded with Texas based members. I know it's a big state but I'm sure more than a few live close enough to come by and lend a hand. Why don't you offer up a lunch and a few beers and have a few of the guys come by and go through her with you. I'll bet you'd be surprised at what they will tell you once they see it first hand. I really don't see anything there that some time and a small amount of money can't turn into a decent weekend fun car.

I looked at the pics... no underneath pics, but that'd be a good find up here in the rust belt!

Fix the brakes... it's likely just a wheel cylinder, or even just simple adjusting which you have to do routinely with drum brakes...

put a bigger steering wheel on...

biggest problem I see is the battery tray. Wouldn't take much to fix on the cheep (I didn't say properly), but enough to get by and let you drive it until you decide what you're going to do

I just really looked at your car and studied the pictures. Where is the bondo on the car? Have you looked to see the amount....really looked? Also, I would remove all the items on there that indicate the nitrous may have been used. You will never need it on the street for sure. It really looks like that car needs more labor than money to be a dependable car. Pictures can be deceiving

Yes, get a real battery hold down instead of the bungie cord. Midlife can help you out on the wiring.....you just have to talk with him. As mentioned, have a car fixin' party to show up those N. Cal. guys. You would be surprised at how much can happen and the parts that show up when a group gets together. I even bet there is someone local who can do an in home alignment.

A lot of items can be fixed with the help of a phone call to someone knowledgeable also.

Kat, I'm pretty sure I still have my original 66 steering wheel out in the barn. If it's there, you can have it for nothing.

"Horseplay" said:
I've got an idea for ya. Stangfix is loaded with Texas based members. I know it's a big state but I'm sure more than a few live close enough to come by and lend a hand. Why don't you offer up a lunch and a few beers and have a few of the guys come by and go through her with you. I'll bet you'd be surprised at what they will tell you once they see it first hand. I really don't see anything there that some time and a small amount of money can't turn into a decent weekend fun car.

+1000

Kat,

Your car looks very similar to mine when my wife said "I'll buy it unseen." I came across lots of PO issues and some that were just par for the course with at 40+ year old car. I had no car mechanical experience when I started. I had help from an experienced neighbor with rebuilding a carb and I was hooked. And I can't tell you the number of times I've called, PMed, or asked for a helping hand in working on the car (Thanks again Dave). I agree with Pete. If your looking for a classic that already ready to go, you may want to consider going a different route. But it looks like with a little time, sweat, and blood (there will be a couple bloody knuckles and maybe a forehead) you'll have a car you can drive happily until your ready to pull it off the road for longer and do major projects on it. Having never met you and only going off your posts, you seem like someone who has no problem getting her hands dirty. Just ask for some help, throw in some food and beverages, and I'm sure you'll have a few hands at the ready. And if you're having a issue doing something, someone here had the same issue twice and knows what to do. Good luck with your decision.

Just going of the pics i think your car would be worth fixing and getting the experience on working on your own car. And the areas you might have to weld in a patch arent bad at all. Unfortunetly i think all of us have had to do deal with things the PO did to our cars but I think its all part of owning a classic car. You gotta think of it as your saving the car. And as far as not having power steering u can always add it to the car. Can probaly get a whole setup at a swap meet for a decent price.

Since youve decided to sell already though my advice is to stick to your price and dont cave in to others offes. I think the cars easily worth what your asking for it.

Thanks guys. I thought about asking Texas folks for help, but I didn't want to burden anyone with my stang problems. Ya'll have your own projects to work on. Don't need to work on someone else's project. :craz

Back