• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Good looking engine bays

gtscode

What kind of engine detailing do you guys like? Colorful wires (red, yellow), chrome, aluminum intake and heads?

I was looking at pics of my engine bay and realized while it is very clean and stock in appearance (not concours) it's pretty boring.

I removed the sticker from the pertronix coil, used black upgraded ignition wires to look stock, still have the stock 390 PCV valve connector and the exhaust manifold choke heater. I hid the pertronix wire to the coil, hid the headlight relays, painted the aluminum water pump and intake blue to look stock. I almost think I did all this work to make it look plane.

What kind of engine bays do you prefer? Please post a pic of your favorites.

Here is mine:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390846884.618370.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390846884.618370.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 216
Still haven't cleaned up all the wires and I continue to look for a nicer power steering reservoir for the Explorer accessories.
zy8ege6e.jpg

Black or blue engine block. Black engine bay. Machined aluminum bits. I prefer plain and have a unnatural hatred of chrome.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Enginebay in the same color as the exterior color.
Engine just gloss black with polished alu parts.

I follow suit with the previous, prefer understated stock appearance with 2 maybe 3 different colors or textures - alum. (raw or polished), black and brass/copper polished parts. I removed the paint from the top tank of my radiator and semi polished the brass as it just looked right to me and I like raw metals. I also prefer to keep major parts the same color, my heads are alum. AFR's but I painted them to match the block so they look stock and don't stand out separate from the engine. I'm also hiding all the wiring I can in the fenderwells, etc.

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

I am also averse to chrome, too common and overdone for me, selective use is ok and on many items it leaks, like the Tstat housing, oil pans, etc. I also like most body color engine bays I see.

This is what I wish my engine bay looked like but it's more because of the TA theme I'm going for, wish I would have painted mine gray the first time, black is so common.

Enginebaygray.png

Jon

For a modified car, I like a wireless compartment, walls painted exterior color, and engine block black.

treng4.jpg

Electric fan coming next week and red hei distributor soon. Really want a front runner single belt but I need to save a few years for that.

Sent via paper airplane.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390857329.218434.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390857329.218434.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 31
You know my engine bay.

I like a little bling, some aluminum and a splash of color.

All things in moderation. Too much of any one and it takes a different look on.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
Black or blue engine block. Black engine bay. Machined aluminum bits. I prefer plain and have a unnatural hatred of chrome.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

+ 1

some beautiful engine bays in here for sure.

I went a little flashier on the color to match what will be going on the outside the car and a little brighter on some of the pieces, but I still hope to keep the engine bay as clean and uncluttered as I possibly can, and there's lots of inspiration in this thread.

this particular car i wanted it took look reasonably stock. so things were modified, such as painting an MSD coil to hide it, black distributor cap, a two stage ceramic powder coat on the headers to get them gray colored, painting a griffin aluminum radiator, painting all of the engine blue (except the intake), modifying a shaker to look similar to that of a stock 351W variety, painting a lakewood bell to look cast, media blasting a polished victor pump, varying the gloss of the black on the different parts, changing the tone of the slop gray parts, hiding the hurst line lock, hiding the brake differential valve, etc.

i personally think there is quite a bit of color in a stockish appearing engine bay.

Buckeyedemon that is very well done. I have the stock 390 air cleaner for my car that I plan to use at shows, although I haven't done that yet.

"kb3" said:
Still haven't cleaned up all the wires and I continue to look for a nicer power steering reservoir for the Explorer accessories.
zy8ege6e.jpg

Ken:

You realize that no apologies are needed for that car? :thum

Regards, Jeff

"JeffTepper" said:
"kb3" said:

Ken:

You realize that no apologies are needed for that car? :thum

Regards, Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

You can't even imagine how many people look under the hood and have no idea of what has gone on there. They miss all the nuances that make the car so great in my opinion. Of course, I am a bit partial to it.

All I want to know is what's the purpose of the wrinkles in the air filter? Helps reduce the amount of air going into the motor so it won't hyperventilate?

"cmayna" said:
All I want to know is what's the purpose of the wrinkles in the air filter? Helps reduce the amount of air going into the motor so it won't hyperventilate?

that will be changed before Vegas. That was me not paying attention one day, laying my arm across it. It could be clocked 33 degrees in either direction, but then the name on the end would not be horizontal. Fine....I am ordering one now! Great job Craig.

Back