• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Granddaughter to live with us

tarafied1

Well we got home from the MBB V and my son's GF called as I was pulling into town. She was in tears. Long story short she asked if we could keep the baby indefinitely.
Both her and my son have been struggling to make ends meat and felt they weren't being fair to make the baby suffer with them. They didn't want a hand out or to come back and live with us but wanted to know she would get the attention and things she needs while they try to get on their feet. I was quite surprised as her mother lives close by. My son said it was her idea and she told us she would rather us take her than her mom. She was so torn up and felt like a failure to even ask but she said she was stressed worrying about how to take care of her and that was causing her to be angry and upset all the time which she also felt was unfair to the baby. All in all I think she made a very mature decision and a very hard one too. My son was not so sure but agreed to do it too. Both my wife and I told them we will do whatever we need to for the baby but made it clear we gave them plenty of chances in the past, they have to make it on their own. We will not be "mom & dad", that will still be them but we will take care of her make sure she has all that she needs. My wife had just quit her job hoping to be able to "babysit" for them, I guess God decided now was a good time! So we are excited. It's going to be different to start all over again with an infant (well 8 months old).

I hope all works out great for you and the wife. I know how much joy she brings you.

Bill

Hey Craig, she can hold a wrench at 8mos. right? You can train her right from the start at least.

Kudos on lending the firm hand of support when needed. I'm sure you know this happens quite often now (parents caring for grandkids), either due to immaturity or the economy. One of my brothers and his wife are doing the same for their son and his girlfriend, it's what's best for the child.

Look forward to seeing her the next time I can make it up or ya'll come down for any functions.
I hope she's sleeping through the night? Good luck,
Jon

Good for you Craig. You and Tara are great people and putting the needs of the little one ahead of everything else is a great decision. I would however, make them contribute something, weekly or monthly to her well being as well as a set visitation schedule. You need to make sure now that they do not have the responsibility they are not out living it up creating another little bundle of joy for you to take care of. Sorry to preach, and its just my $.02, take it for what it is.

The start of a childs life is the most important time for their development, socially and mentally.
The gift your giving now will play a major role in her future development.
Tell your son to tie a knot in his dick while him and girlie work extra hard in getting their life stabilised.
Good Luck

Y'all will have to take her on the HRPT next year. I think that will be the best excuse to say we NEED AC in the 67. She would be the hit of the tour and everyone will want to help babysit! Women just love babies.

thanks everyone! My son is a great kid (in his own way). He is not as mature at 22 as my 14 and 15 year old boys are now. While this isn't the ideal situation, I do admire them for facing reality. I will do my best to keep them involved but as most of you know, this does open the door for them to split up or go on making bad choices. At least this baby won't suffer the consequences of their mistakes (entirely).
My son has been working a full time job at a gas station, riding his bike to work in all weather. He hasn't missed a day. This is from a kid who through away an apprenticeship, a paid for car, gas and insurance and room and board not all that long ago. He has paid his bills he can afford and owes who he owes but not asking for anything from me anymore.
I could go on but he still has a long hard road ahead of him and the GF is even harder. She has no diploma, no drivers licence (and won't be able to get one), and no real skills. We live in a town of 8,000 with already a lot of "poor" folks.

Anyway, the baby is a great child. She does sleep all night and is very well mannered. I have told them over and over how lucky they are with her.

It seems like the only choice, the GF's parents aren't stable and the GF admits that. My son's birth mom is not stable and he knows that too.

we have had her every weekend anyway. My other two are in marching band and Amalie is like the band mascot

and you can bet she will be a gear head and go on the Power Tour!

I could tell without meeting you that you & your family are good people, That is a very noble thing to do, I have not been working on the mustang at all because of this little brat (nephew)
IMG_6483.jpg

But i do agree with every word Rick said, I always see kids my age have 3-4 children that "mom" can take care of with no responsiblility at all I hope everything works out for you/your wife and kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Jonk67" said:
Hey Craig, she can hold a wrench at 8mos. right? You can train her right from the start at least.
and yes she can
284819_3738301421689_1280005424_n.jpg

i also found some "Amalie" oil on our way to MBB V! (her name is Amalie)
310243_3935467830726_1471102184_n.jpg

Way to go Craig! You and Tara are great folks. That little one will be in the best hands. I know how you feel, I promise. I went down that road with my oldest son, and fortunately, for my grandson's sake, both he and his girlfriend have worked hard and have come out on top. Good luck to your son. I look forward to hearing a success story here.

Our grandaughter turns 9 on oct 13th, she has been with us since she was 2---It has been great, I would strongly suggest legal guardianship--(judge signs off to make it legal), that eliminates any mood changes that may have them say we want her back when in reality they are not capable of providing for her, also any problems if you want to travel, if she needs medical treatment, when she starts school, also you can control who has contact with her-(its a crazy world out there) best $600. bucks I have ever given a lawyer. Both parents have to sign a release and then the Judge reads over it and approves or denies it. Our papers have no expiration date on them. We have never been "Mommy and Daddy"--just grandpa and grandma.
Good luck and you know you are doing the "right" thing!

Good for you! You will have your hands full, but I'm sure you already know that.

Are you going to get full custody? I'd hate to see you invest time and money into her and then have them take her back and put her into a bad environment.

I have talked with the wife a lot today. We will see our life and plans change for sure. We are also talking about getting guardianship.

"tarafied1" said:
thanks everyone, if only I were as good as yawl think I am. Just trying to be good I guess.

That sounds like you are human just like most of us here.

Amalie is very lucky to have grandparents that can help her out with this part of her life. Times are very tough out there, but it is getting a little better. Time will tell just how smart Amalie's parents are. There first smart move was to think of Amalie before themselves, the next smart move will be to work hard and not waste their earnings with a goal getting Amalie back into their lives.

fd

Back