1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Great quote..Unfortunately

Discussion in 'Politics, Guns, and a can of Whoop Ass!' started by mcfly, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mcfly

mcfly Member

I think this sums up how I feel. Too bad we don't know who wrote it....

The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to an electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama.
    It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.�
    -- Author Unknown

2. Jack1966

Jack1966 Active Member

I know how you feel . . . I felt the same way from 2000 to 2008.

3. apollard

apollard Active Member

I've felt the same way since 1988.

4. RustyRed

RustyRed Active Member

The best quote I've read regarding the health care bill is what a friend of a friend had to say on her Facebook page;

"What disappoints me is all those who favored this legislation look at it as a "government" fix. It's not a government fix, its a taxpayer fix. ITS WELFARE. WE are the government, and Democrats just highjacked a huge chunk of our economy, committing open theft from the pockets of a huge majority of American taxpayers.

BTW, There is now going to be, for the first time ever, a tax on being alive in the USA. Yes, its a tax, because its compulsory that you pay it in order to LIVE in the USA. Under the new bill, if you are an US citizen, and you breath the air, or your heart beats, you MUST carry health insurance of some kind, or face monetary penalties. For the first time EVER, our legislators have levied a tax that NO American can exercise his liberty and choose a lifestyle where he can avoid taxes. Don't even bring up income taxes, because if you want to, if you CHOOSE to, you can be a pioneer type and live your entire life off the land and NEVER pay a dime of taxes in the USA. That's what our founders had in mind, our freedom to pursue happiness with our God Given Liberties.

Our founders would be literally loading up their muskets and heading to Capital Hill to overturn this Congress if this kind of legislation were passed in their time. Outright thievery. Every American should be outraged. This type of bill is nothing more than theft disguised as compassion. "

I could not think of anything to add, the author said it all.

5. apollard

apollard Active Member

Two of my favs that directly apply to this horrific bill (and the whole concept):

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. – Thomas Jefferson

But how is this legal plunder to be identified? Quite simply. See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without committing a crime. [Frederic Bastiat from The Law, 1850]

6. mcfly

mcfly Member

Since 92 for me. Did not start voting or for that matter caring til I was 30.
    But since then I can proudly say (now in retrospect) that I have never voted for a candidate that became President

7. apollard

apollard Active Member

Since we're on quotes, one more relating to the whole 'government can do everything better' though pattern:

Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God. -GK Chesterton

8. Jack1966

Jack1966 Active Member

I assume then this is directed at federal taxes, but under the same circumstances state and local taxes that are compulsory and unavoidable are ok?

9. RustyRed

RustyRed Active Member

I can't think of any state / local tax that is simply based on breathing and / or having a pulse.

If I don't like property tax no one forces me to own property, etc.

10. Jack1966

Jack1966 Active Member

Here's Mitch McConnell's response as to what Senate Republicans will focus on:

"McConnell signalled his intent to zero in on items like planned cuts to the hugely popular government-run Medicare program for the elderly, and tax increases on the wealthy."

How weird is that Republicans who fought against Medicare so hard 45 years ago are now concerned? Now protecting the wealthy, that's not surprising.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They (meaning the Feds) should get out of taking care of people ie; medicaid, medicare, welfare, health care, subsidizing businesses including farms, etc... and focus only on what the fed gov is Constitutionally required to do. The rest should be up to the States.

and yes, I know that I'm a cold hearted bastard, tough shit, I'm tired of working my ass off to support other people that have no desire to support themselves.

Let Charities and Churches (the people) help out voluntarily instead of it being stolen from each person.
    No way I can express my true feelings on this subject in a post.

12. sigtauenus

sigtauenus Active Member

So Jack, those nasty Republicans who fought against Medicare so hard.... you're not talking about the roughly 50% of Republicans who voted for it in the Senate and the House?

Summary of Party Affiliation on Medicare Vote

SENATE YEA NAY NOT VOTING
    Democrats 57 7 4
    Republicans 13 17 2

HOUSE YEA NAY NOT VOTING
    Democrats 237 48 8
    Republicans 70 68 2

That was a true bipartisan effort. What happened yesterday was a travesty to the history of this nation.

13. apollard

apollard Active Member

That's a comforting little canard that Democrats tell themselves. The reality is that Republicans split ~50/50 on the votes, and that huge fights over the bills were also found in the Democratic party. Then, as now, the price of those Democrat 'moderates' was found.
    http://www.ssa.gov/history/tally65.html

We've Previously established the wealthy (meaning the super rich) are in the Democratic party, which works hard to protect them (Soros, Heinz, Gates, etc). No the merely rich (ie, those with small businesses) ARE generally Republicans - they can't afford the sham foundations the wealthy use (and the Democrats continue to enable)to avoid taxes.

Unfortunately, Democrats keep repeating these comfoting lies to confuse the public and make themselves feel better.

Edit: Note to self - read all posts before replying :doh

14. blue65coupe

blue65coupe Well-Known Member

The only thing bipartisan about this bill was the opposition. (I'm talking healthcare) What does that say to the libs? Fine, the repubes were trying to railroad anything the demons wanted. But what about the demons who were against it?

15. RustyRed

RustyRed Active Member

I am personally against all of it. Social security, medicare and dam sure Medicade.

If we scrapped Social security / medicare I'd have 7.65% (or 15.3% if my employer were nice enough to give me their match as well) more to put into my 401(k) and I am guessing even invested in a money market account I'd get better returns then I will out of a system that will long since be broke by the time I reach the point of need 30 +/- years down the road.

Lets assume my employer just kept their 7.65% match....wouldn't this make it 7.65% cheaper to hire an employee and perhaps stimulate the job market some?

Taxes and Government waste and the communist notion of "wealth redistribution" to create a generation of lazy entitlement types is never the answer far as I am concerned.

By the way...raising taxes. When is the last time anyone went to work for a poor guy? Well other than our government which will soon be more broke then the rest of us.

16. Jack1966

Jack1966 Active Member

How far would you like to turn back the clock? And would you be willing to accept everything else that would go with that?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Turn that F'n clock back to 1780 as far as I'm concerned. Like I said before, get the gov out of the business of taking care of others. The States should decide on a lot more of what the fed has scarfed up.

Those that can work will provide for themselves or die, tough shit, I don't feel sorry for you. You can't make it here in this great Country, stop wasting our oxygen. No medi nothing, no SSI, no welfare, no income tax thus no IRS (as it exists today), a flat tax or consumption tax will work just fine.

Those that do need help will get from people like me and you, organized charities (funded by you and I) and Churches. There will be no want except for those that choose that life.

Let the Fed regulate the money, fund the military and oversee some regulations to keep businesses in check (feel free to add to this), fund infrastructure since we ALL benefit from that.

I'm a simple man, I take care of myself, my family and my extended family...have all my life. I do for others that are in need and it makes me feel good to do that. I try to treat people as I want to be treated, but I have absolutely NO RESPECT for bums. Call me heartless, I don't give a rat's ass, I am so sick of being told I don't care / give enough. Get off your ass and pull the F'n train if you can, If you are really unable to pull it, we'll assist you the best we can.

18. blue65coupe

blue65coupe Well-Known Member

I'm all for the "Little House on the Prairie" days. Life would be so much simpler.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm living it right now, except I have indoor plumbing :ecit

20. AtlantaSteve

AtlantaSteve Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I know better to embroil myself in this debate. I know better to embroil myself in this debate. I know better to embroil myself in this debate. I know better to embroil myself in this debate. I know better to embroil myself in this debate. I know better to embroil myself in this debate. Fuck.

Is this the case for children and babies too?

My best friend in High School...My best friend to this day...Got married very quick after returning home from his Mission (LDS Men typically serve a mission for age 19-21) and while he was still in college. The LDS Church does not believe in practicing birth control, though this is one of them sins that most people kinda turn their heads away from and in a sort of "You can ask forgiveness once you've started having kids" kinda way. But regardless, my buddy was no fan of using artifical methods to make sure he didn't have a kid while in college.

After he got out, he got his first job. A real craptastic job that paid very little. Soon after, in his words, he was told by the spirit that he needed to follow the church's counsel on birth control methods. Shortly thereafter his wife got pregnant with their first daughter.

He could not BEGIN to afford the basic medical care that he needed to get his wife through the pregnancy, through the hospital, and out the other side. HE also couldn't afford Health Insurance. Now, one may say "if you don't have the insurance, don't have the babies." But he would tell you he'll listen to God's counsel before man's, and he believes practicing birth control was wrong.

Be that as it may, while he wasn't eligible, his wife was able to get Medicaid to help cover the cost of the prenatal care/hospitals/delivery, early infancy care, etc. I don't remember what he ended up coming out of pocket, but the vast majority of it was covered by John Q Public.

He is now in his mid 30s, and has been somewhat successful in banking. He has a good career, good insurance, and now using his own means he is able to cover when they have another child.

I have a hard time saying "Screw him for not being a productive member of society." He IS a productive member of society. He works hard, pays taxes, owns his own home. He just had a few years where he needed some help.

I'm glad he was able to get it.