• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

ground wire

RustyRed

I have a fast question.

You know the pretty small wire in your distributor that from what I can tell is a ground wire...it runs from where your points are screwed on to the other side of the distributor....

Mine looks 40 some odd years old to say the least.

Can I just use a generic piece of wire to make a new one to replace it?

IIRC, a new set of points will come with one, no?
77342d1251434141-set-points-gap-points-ford.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the new points come with it. You could make one easy or clean the original. I have never replaced one in the past.

From what I could tell the points don't come with one.

I have some extra wire from my Pertronix that I don't need so I might just splice a couple of connectors on each end of a short piece. I was just wondering if it would work but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't?

I'll try to keep it short, LOL!

One thing I am going to order today also is a ground strap. The previous owner had some screw ball thing instead of the strap from the firewall to the block.

What I can't find is the hardware to mount the ground strap on John's website. I have lots of extra bolts and nuts in the garage so I'll figure something out.

Would it hurt anything to mount the engine side with the same bolt as the tranny dip stick tube?

While the weather is kind of crappy and Mid has my under dash harness checking my shorts I figured I might as well take the time to clean up a few other misc. issues. Trying to keep myself out of the dog house with the wife though regarding cost.

Yes, the dipstick tube bolt will work. Where is not important unless doing concours. Just so it functions. Be sure the mating surfaces are free of dirt and paint for a solid connection.

"AzPete" said:
Yes, the dipstick tube bolt will work. Where is not important unless doing concours. Just so it functions. Be sure the mating surfaces are free of dirt and paint for a solid connection.

Just out of curiosity where is it "supposed" to be attached? I looked through the eletrical manual last night and didn't see it in any diagrams. Guess I could've just missed it.

"Fast68back" said:
I always use a star washer, I feel more comfortable they are making a good connection on a ground

PREGQ101.jpg

FWIW, all of the automotive electricians manuals spec a star washer under a ground wire, pointy side towards the metal. The mobile audio certification people really chit bricks if you don't do it that way. :rofl

I am pretty sure I have an extra bolt with the star washer around but I forgot to look for one last night, I was busy rewiring my choke wires and eliminating some of the extraneous wires the previous owner had in there. The ground strap I ordered isn't coming in till today but I have Aikido class tonight so I will probably be taking a night off from working on the car. I am in no hurry since I have to wait for the dash wires to get back. Planning on cleaning up several more things since I have the time right now and can't drive the car anyway.

Back