• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Group Buy 15" Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

It was a compliment. I always see the wooden steering wheels that have all the clear coat worn off and cracking wood. It would take a lifetime to wear all the clear off of these. They look very classy. :thu

Guys, I wanted to post some information up regarding the screws I decided to use with my wheel install on the lecarra hub. I went to the hardware store today and picked up some SS Phillips screws with a pan head. I like this look. I also picked up some black screws, but I don't like the way they recess. (Did not put all the screws in - I have to take the wheel back off to finish my dash.)

The adjustable colar on the lecarra hub is fantastic, I has this tiny set screw and I think it's a wonderful design.

Some Pictures.... :pbj

screws3.jpg

screws4.jpg

wheel_install1.jpg

wheel_install3.jpg
wheel_install2.jpg
set_screw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stangfix PSA -

JUST TO BE CLEAR - THE SCREWS THAT COME WITH THE WHEEL, I DON'T BELIVE WILL FIT THE LECARRA HUB! USE THE LACARRA SCREWS.

So please make sure to use screws that come with the Lecarra hub, or make a trip to the hardware store. Can some one confirm this? I can't locate the screws that came with my own wheel.

The only thing I would caution everyone about is that using a phillips head you are almost sure to mar the screw top on one or more tightening them. That would drive me crazy. If you go this route, use the largest head driver you can. Going allen head you can avoid this issue.

I actually like the contrast of the black fastener.

One of my pet peeves from working in the construction industry for 30 + years is the use of slotted and phillips screws. There are so many other ...better head designs out there where the tool actually grips. If they invent the time machine before I die, I'm going back and "take out" Mr. Slot and Mr. Phillip. You can thank me later.

Thanks for the input - all good points. Now that I know what size is needed, I'll head down to Austin Bolt Company, and see what they have to offer.

I like the contrast of the black as well.. Once I get all the Silver dash pieces in, the black might be a nice contrast. .

"silverblueBP" said:
One of my pet peeves from working in the construction industry for 30 + years is the use of slotted and phillips screws. There are so many other ...better head designs out there where the tool actually grips. If they invent the time machine before I die, I'm going back and "take out" Mr. Slot and Mr. Phillip. You can thank me later.

Read this. Could be useful. According to the article, phillips screws were designed so that the driver will carn out of the the slot before the screw is over torqued. Look around at the "phillips" screws you see daily. I bet a lot of them are actually pozidriv or reed and prince.

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a- ... illipsreg/

"mmw68" said:
Guys, I wanted to post some information up regarding the screws I decided to use with my wheel install on the lecarra hub. I went to the hardware store today and picked up some SS Phillips screws with a pan head. I like this look. I also picked up some black screws, but I don't like the way they recess. (Did not put all the screws in - I have to take the wheel back off to finish my dash.)

The adjustable colar on the lecarra hub is fantastic, I has this tiny set screw and I think it's a wonderful design.

Some Pictures.... :pbj

screws3.jpg

screws4.jpg

wheel_install1.jpg

wheel_install3.jpg
wheel_install2.jpg
set_screw.jpg

Before you do your final wheel install, don't forget to bend and install your turn signal level/rod. Once your wheel is installed you can't screw in the bent turn signal lever.

"Sluggo" said:
Read this. Could be useful. According to the article, phillips screws were designed so that the driver will carn out of the the slot before the screw is over torqued. Look around at the "phillips" screws you see daily. I bet a lot of them are actually pozidriv or reed and prince.

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a- ... illipsreg/

Not talking about hybrids, just the std ones. Pozi's are OK, not great,just OK. Square drives are the bomb.

how much is total with shipping on these? Zip code 77055. Also what would it take to put on on a 65? How much are hubs?

Great timing, I was just getting ready to try to re-figure out the best way to mount a 6 bolt wheel that I bought sometime back. Which had a can of worms with trying to use it. I think I will just sell that one and go with the 9 bolt, many more options available for the boss and horns that work.

I should add I paid on Saturday and got it Wednesday. Pretty quick shipping if anyone is concerned.

I really like that finish on the wood, and don't care in the least if its a knock-off of the real deal.

Sam

I bought a horn emblem from mustang unlimited, it's a perfect fit. I have a few other emblems on order, I'll post up my findings on those as well.

cobrasticker1.jpg

cobrasticker2.jpg

I've been in Italy for 2 weeks and still not firing on all cylinders yet....can a get a summary of where we stand and what works and what doesn't?

I was in the market for:
1 - 65 and 1 - 67 - wheel and mounting hub.

Back