• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Guantanamo is only 180 nm from Port-au-Prince

bighorse

My brother has been deployed with the Air National Guard to Guantanamo since July. When I realized how close the Haiti earthquake was to where he is, and that the only thing separating him from the Port-au-Prince is 180 nautical miles of sea, and that is was expected that tsunami's would be spawned, I got very concerned. With only 19 days before he returns, I could only hope that, first and foremost, he was safe; and secondly, they wouldn't extend his deployment for humanitarian reasons. He finally got through to his wife this afternoon, and reported there was very little evidence of the quake where he was (he heard it, but didn't even feel it) and that he was safe. I'm ready for him to get home. We have to get back to work on his '63 Chevy pickup.

First off thank your brother for serving. Earthquakes are no big deal. I have been through so many that I have lost count. That is they are no big deal to me until something falls on my head. :sur fd

Wow I guess that I should not be surprised at the extent of the damage. Haiti does not have the building standards that we have here. A 7.0 would cause some major damage, but nothing like the buildings that I saw leveled on the news tonight. They are loading up the planes with supplies and dogs and leaving for the area soon. fd

Back