• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gumbo ?

Sacbill

Hard Swinger
Who's got a kick@ss gumbo recipe? Must have me one!

Sent from my family room using Tapatalk HD

I'll try this one more time. You can use any kind of meat, chicken, shrimp, sausage. I normally use shrimp and sausage.

Mama Pierces Seafood Gumbo
1 serving Roux
1 lb. Fresh Okra ,steamed 1/2 hour Note can use frozen,
2 lb. Medium size Fresh shrimp, peeled ,Note can use frozen,
2 Fresh tomatoes, peeled an chopped
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/2 to 1 cup Fresh crabmeat

Method:
Using a small microwave dish - microwave onion, celery and green peppers uncovered approximately 2 minutes on high until dry. Remove to large heavy cooking pot. Now microwave okra approximately 5 minutes until little or no slime remains. Remove to heavy pot with seasonings ,except parsley & garlic,. Separately microwave shrimp until light colored pink and then add to pot with all other ingredients. ,Note if using frozen cooked shrimp just thaw and add to pot., Now cook on stove top on medium for approximately 20 minutes. Then add fresh crabmeat, parsley and garlic and a little more water if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook another 10 minutes. Serve over rice.

Notes: Seasonings can and should be adjusted to taste. We like to use red pepper, black pepper and Louisiana hot sauce with a little bit of Tony Chacheres famous Creole Seasoning ,may be hard to find in Yankee territory, for heat not just one kind. Also the crab or shrimp can be omitted. Or you can omit both and substitute cooked chicken bone in or boneless for chicken gumbo.

For serving on a plate with rice, a dryer gumbo with less water is needed. We prefer a soupier type served in a bowl with lots of rice and saltine crackers.

Experimentation is the name of the game with this dish. But the real key is to start with a good Roux. See roux recipes included in misc. category.

This recipe was passed down through the Pierce Family who lived in the Bayous of South East Louisiana. It has been modernized through the years to catch up with our modern conveniences such as the microwave and frozen items. We received this from Mamma Piercess Great grand daughter during our stay in New Orleans.

While not from scratch, Zatarains Gumbo mix is very good! I usually make two boxes and add a pound of browned, cubed chicken, a pound of andouille sausage or chorizo (cut into bite size pieces and browned) and a pound of peeled shrimp. I also add some chopped frozen okra.

"cmayna" said:
I agree 100% about that nasty okra stuff.

You just steam the snot out of it. Seriously though after you steam it the snots all gone by the time you mix it in the gumbo.

It has snot in it?
qahadavy.jpg

We used to make our roux from scratch. It takes forever and there's a very good chance you'll burn the living dog shit out of yourself.

Can't go wrong starting with this.

Roux-10oz-LG.jpg

Back