• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

HAN--any tips for a newbie?

crustycurmudgeon

I'll be attending Hot August Nights next week, Tuesday thru Thursday. Anybody (Johnpro? SacBill?) have any tips for a newbie as to what to do, what to see, where to go? Help me not get caught up in any "gang" activity.

John, does your cell # end in 451?

Frank

Frank: Cool you're going. Some basic details...

...bring sunblock and a hat.
...bring a foldup chair so you can lounge with us ogling the vintage iron
...bring a camera or video recorder
...bring your shopping list / wish list to Summit in Sparks. They have discounts during the event.

The best spots to just hang and watch things are at Peppermill, Atlantis (where we're staying), Grand Sierra Resort, and Sparks downtown (near the Nugget). These spots can park several hundred to a thousand or more rides at the same time, and have food and drink vendors, music (live bands), and tons of cars 'cruising through.' Just park your chair and take in the show. :pop

You might be interested in the swap meet, which starts on Thursday AM at the Reno Livestock Events Center (RLEC). I usually head to that on Thursday, even if I'm not in the market for anything.

Meanwhile, out on the streets, there are thousands of classics and street rods cruising around. Very cool.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Harrah's collection is also worth checking out, especially if you have never seen it before. They have a 65 fastback with 4 miles on it... bought off the showroom and never driven. Totally sweet. And yes, it IS orange :)

Other than that, the Atlatis and the Peppermill are my two favorite spots.

"Meyer65" said:
Harrah's collection is also worth checking out, especially if you have never seen it before. They have a 65 fastback with 4 miles on it... bought off the showroom and never driven. Totally sweet. And yes, it IS orange :)

Other than that, the Atlatis and the Peppermill are my two favorite spots.

I heard that Harrah's had broke their collection up in the late 80's or 90's. Was that just rumor or do they have a smaller collection now?

The do have a smaller collection but the set up is way nicer. It used to be some huge warehouses. Now it's set up like a street with "shops" that have various themes of autos. It's still a great place to go.
Stan

Yes, Frank, that's the end of my cell #. Give me a call when you're in the vicinity. Last year, we parked the cars right on the entrance of the Atlantis cruise entrance, so basically had front row seats all week for the Atlantis event.

On Tuesday, there's a strong chance we'll be at the Grand Sierra for a good portion of the day. Bill doesn't know it yet (hint, hint, Bill), but since Raley's is a sponsor, yesterday I got some passes to the corporate hospitality tent at the Grand Sierra, where we can get free breakfast, lunch, and dinner all week. Oh, and did I mention that my understanding is it's an open bar inside the tent? We have to go there, anyway to register our cars and pick up our packets, so will probably eat breakfast, lunch or both while we're there.

Only registered cars are allowed in the "official venue" areas, but there are several thousand unregistered classics there for the event. They have to park in general parking places that are open to the public. Bill, Ron and I are all registered and the SWMBO's don't attend everything, so you can use their passes to get into anything you want without having to pay as a spectator. You can hang with us at our cars during show/cruise hours. We generally try to get our cars parked together.

At night, we sometimes hit some of the local cruise-ins, that you do not have to be registered for (anyone can cruise in to the spots, like at the A&W joint).

Most of the day and evening, though, it's just sitting there, beer in hand, watching the ever-changing car show change in front of you as the 5,500 registered cars continually move around to different venues.

The cops pretty much look the other way for anything unless you endanger someone else or their car. Everyone is drinking in public (as long as you don't have it in the vehicles, you're fine), running the streets with open header, blowers, etc. It is not uncommon to see gnarly burnouts at the stop lights.

"aslan" said:
Do they still have the free concerts in the evening? I was there in '99 and they were great!
Stan

Yes. Lot's of free concerts as well as ones that you need to pay for. Most venues have live bands playing next to the show cars.

"Meyer65" said:
Harrah's collection is also worth checking out

While the bulk of the remaining cars came from the Harah's collection, the Harah's collection, itself, no longer exists. The cars are all owned and displayed now in the National Auto Museum.

They have over 200 cars, and it is normally a very worthwhile museum, but it is kind of overshadowed during Hot August Nights with 5,500 registered classics and several thousand unregistered ones.

At Hot August Nights, you don't have to walk around to see 200 cars, when you can sit down and watch thousands drive by you. :danc

Back