• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

*Happy Dance* Just got me a new shifter!

Starfury

I knew poking around the Corral Forums classifieds would pay off. Brand new Steeda Tri-Ax for a T5, $100 + tax, free shipping. Now I can actually shift my '90 GT when I get it moving:)

shoot some feedback on that when you get it installed.
i reeeeeally want a better shifter for my 94.
it sucks in a big way now.

I drove my rommate's '97 T/A WS6 before and after a Pro 5.0. I was really happy with the feel of the Pro 5.0, and was actually looking for one for the fox, but I was looking at $100-150 for a used one. I couldn't pass up a new Tri-Ax at $100.

I've driven a couple m/t fox body and sn95 cars. All of them have had a really sloppy, rubbery feel to the shifter. Even the T/A stock shifter was slightly better than most stock T5 shifters I've driven with. In addition, T5's don't have internal shift stops, so bent forks are fairly common from overaggressive shifting.

There are basically three big name shifters for T5's: MGW (supposedly 'the best'), Pro 5.0, and Steeda Tri-Ax. After doing some research, everyone loves MGW's, and there are very few complaints about the latter two.

When I get the car driveable, I'll let you know how it feels. I still need to pull the roof and bumper off a donor car here soon, so it's got at least a month before I get it on the road.

If you want to pick one up, I got it from www.stangsuspension.com. It appears they still have one left.

I really like the Pro 5.0 in my Fox, never drove it with a stock shifter though (was auto)
I did make a little bracket for it to bring the shifter handle back about 1" and closer to the driver 1/2". I had heard reach can be an issue for 5 speed Foxes and since I work in a shop....

Got another one (buddy trade) to go into my 66 Coupe! :pep

I'd sure be interested in a real life comparison between the brands though

I got it and I'm happy with the design. It's sturdy, pretty, and functional. I like that it has three lever mounting holes for two different shift lever height options. I'll post when it's in, but it won't be driveable (on the street) for at least another month or two.

Got the shifter installed today. Gotta say, that was a serious PITA for what seems like such a simple install. To do it right, you have to pull the whole freaking console. To pull the console, you have to pull part of the column support. WTF.

I love my '67. You look at it, remove the bolts, voila. None of this 'take this apart to take that apart to take out the part you want to replace' BS.

Anyway, I got it in. Had to forgo reinstalling the front two bolts on the lower shift boot, but I don't think I really need them. Don't care enough about the car to feel like worrying about it.

The shifter seems to work very well. I adjusted the shift stops and installed the handle in the upper position (this is going to be a driver car, so I want it to be comfortable). Shifts seem firm and precise. You know when you get into gear. Getting into 5th takes a little effort, especially since I'm used to my sloppy 3sp shifter in my '67, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I'll post another review once I get to drive it.

Back