• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headliner Installation

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
Having never installed a headliner just wanted to confirm with the experts as to proper install technique. Do I apply the adhesive to the inside edge of the pinch weld in the glass area or the outside...or both? How much trim should be left on the outside edge in the front and rear openings?
Obviously I'm concerned about a lasting fit and most importantly leak-free glass installation.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

The only other tips I can offer that were not mentioned in the linked article is to "wet", pull taut and then "heat" the headliner.

When installing the headliner you'll find that there will be a few areas that seem to be difficult to pull tight. The fabric wrinkles are gone, but just barely. If not stretched really tight, these wrinkles will likely re-appear over time unless the material is stretched to some extent.

Using an old (empty) Windex type squirt bottle, SPRAY a fine mist of 100% water onto any headliner areas that aren't REALLY tight. The moistened material allows it to be stretched further, easier. Stretch and re-secure the headliner to the pinchweld. Use your wifes blow-dryer to gently heat the headliner material and you should notice that the procedure has tightened up any little problem areas.

Back