• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help Randy !!!

70 StangMan

Donator
If the distributor cap was accidently installed backwards and the engine was fired up, would any damage occur??

"joesgt281" said:
umm....how do you install a distributor cap backwards? :hide
C'mon, now...it can be installed upside down!

Some caps can be installed 180* out. It wouldn't cause any permanent damage, but your firing order would certainly be off a wee bit.

"joesgt281" said:
umm....how do you install a distributor cap backwards? :hide
Well, in my case, you wake up in the morning with your head up your ass. Then you get all ecited about the new polished alternator you just recieved the day before. You change out the alternator, go to swap out the distributor cap with a new , shiny, black one from NPD, forgetting completely about the notch (insert Dumbass here) back the screw out of the vacum advance, so that it will set down flush, reinstall screw and fire her up and the rest is history.Now ildes rough and backfires every once in a while even with the old dist. cap reinstalled (correctly)

oh dang, you actually got it tightened down with the pin not being in the slot?
now i see where you're coming from.
i don't believe anything would have been damaged by doing so.
are you sure you got the plug wires back on in the right order, ensuring No. 1 is firing when it should (compression stroke)?
you said you took the vac advance unit off.
did you get it back on right?
i presume you never loosened the distributor hold-down bolt in this process, right?

"joesgt281" said:
oh dang, you actually got it tightened down with the pin not being in the slot?
now i see where you're coming from.
i don't believe anything would have been damaged by doing so.
are you sure you got the plug wires back on in the right order, ensuring No. 1 is firing when it should (compression stroke)?
you said you took the vac advance unit off.
did you get it back on right?
i presume you never loosened the distributor hold-down bolt in this process, right?
I moved the plug wires from the cap one at a time just so I was sure not to mess up the firing order, I never took the vac. adv. off I just removed the screw next to the dist. cap and never loosened the dist hold down bolt.

Dale, you have really f'd up that engine...better sell it to me for $2G :naug

Did you possibly get them one off on the cap? Gotta be something simple, I can't imagine how it would have done any permanent damage

"silverblueBP" said:
Dale, you have really f'd up that engine...better sell it to me for $2G :naug

Did you possibly get them one off on the cap? Gotta be something simple, I can't imagine how it would have done any permanent damage
Mark , the way it's running now I couldn't get 2 cents for it. Yea everything is plugged in, triple checked. See , if you were here in Florida , you could come over and fix it.

Did you bend or crack the rotor itself? I had a tip on a rotor come loose, Makes it run worse than crap.....

BTW, I will go 4 cents.....

"AzPete" said:
Did you bend or crack the rotor itself? I had a tip on a rotor come loose, Makes it run worse than crap.....

BTW, I will go 4 cents.....
Tried new rotor Pete, NADA.

I would suggest to pull all the plug wires from the cap. Start at number one, and put them on properly. Make sure you are at number one, TDC by pulling a plug.

I have thought I had them right after moving them, swore to it, only to have a friend point out they were wrong. Don't argue, just re wire it without any reference to what it is now.

"AzPete" said:
I would suggest to pull all the plug wires from the cap. Start at number one, and put them on properly. Make sure you are at number one, TDC by pulling a plug.

I have thought I had them right after moving them, swore to it, only to have a friend point out they were wrong. Don't argue, just re wire it without any reference to what it is now.
Thank's Pete, I'll give that a try tomorrow.

"AzPete" said:
Tomorrow!!!!! Does it get dark in your garage????? :mod
No, but I have had enough for one day and a cold one and the better half is calling. Maybe I can get that right. :pep

Must be missing something here, if you put the cap on backwards and transferred the wires one at a time it should have still been okay. Are the back fires when under load or idle? The juice will take the shortest path and it will be worse under load. Sounds like a cracked cap or rotor still...

Back