• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help with fuel line setup

Kats66Pny

Ok little dilema. I'm having a hard time figuring out which way would be best. I *think* this is how stuff goes. :amaz

Option 1: Easier to read gauge, but would require long hose wrapping around the carb/manifold to connect to the regulator (located on firewall passenger side) and somewhere I have to find a spot to put the fuel filter in.

IMG_4015.jpg

Option 2: No gauge, shorter hose to regulator BUT makes it VERY difficult to fit fuel filter on there because it's such a short distance and would cause too hard of a bend.

IMG_4016.jpg

Option 3: same position as option 2 but connect the fuel hose to the other side of the regulator (got a gold plug w/teflon tape on it) and the hose will have to be fairly long and hang down in order to fit the fuel filter and not have any hard bends in it.

Did any of that make sense at all? If it doesn't, I apologize. Its 90-100 degrees in my garage and I'm delusional and I even made myself bleed on my knuckle. :lol

For the life of me, I cannot remember how stuff was setup before. All the pics I have of the engine bay before have the air cleaner blocking the view of hoses. :po
IMG_3880.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention that I didn't like so many damn hoses in the engine bay and wanted it a little less cluttered which is why I bought that double thingy that connect to the carb instead of having 2 hoses going from the carb to each side of the regulator.

Most holleys run towards the front.

My edlebrock runs towards the rear bit the fuel line has been modified to enter the engine bat near the hood hinge area. Much cleaner but a bit more work.

The fuel filter can be a ways from the carb to get it into a more accessable position.

Um, I see you have a regulator, (DUH) is that due to an electric fuel pump? If so where is the fuel pump located. You may be able to clean the entire mess up by relocating the regulator. Both my cars have the stock type fuel pump on the front driver's side engine and the fuel lines come out the front and to the filter and then to the pump on the front of the block.

Oh, on every car with any kind of good owner there must be a little blood spilled.

Hehehe, the night before a show in Tuscon, the first one ever for me to enter a car and the first one for the 67, I cut my thumb and had to have four stitches at 10:00PM when I should have been half way there. We got there and had one hour to sleep and get the car off the trailer and in it's spot. Then there was a dead battery. I think I was half dead at Laurie's show.

The people here which were on the other site stuck beside me and helped. So don't give up, keep thinking things through and you will be done and have loads of fun in the mean time.

Oh, BTW the carb looks good.

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
Um, I see you have a regulator, (DUH) is that due to an electric fuel pump? If so where is the fuel pump located. You may be able to clean the entire mess up by relocating the regulator.

Yes, there's an electric holley fuel pump and it's actually located under the car next to the gas tank. :amaz Not my doing. Previous owner. Hubby and I were actually discussing today about relocating that regulator somewhere else some time in the future.

Oh and I decided to go with option 3. I forgot to get a picture of it tonight, but I'll get one tomorrow and you can see how it turned out.

We tighted everything up, started up Gertrude and she STARTED!! :vic Timing is a little off, not by much. Not going to mess with that since neither me nor the hubby know how to mess with it. She runs and no leaks. Why mess with a good thing. :lol I'll probably take her out to the club meet Wednesday night though and see if one of them can adjust it for me.

Such a nice feeling to get something accomplished.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Yes, there's an electric holley fuel pump and it's actually located under the car next to the gas tank. :amaz Not my doing. Previous owner. Hubby and I were actually discussing today about relocating that regulator somewhere else some time in the future.

Oh and I decided to go with option 3. I forgot to get a picture of it tonight, but I'll get one tomorrow and you can see how it turned out.

We tighted everything up, started up Gertrude and she STARTED!! :vic Timing is a little off, not by much. Not going to mess with that since neither me nor the hubby know how to mess with it. She runs and no leaks. Why mess with a good thing. :lol I'll probably take her out to the club meet Wednesday night though and see if one of them can adjust it for me.

Such a nice feeling to get something accomplished.

Sure is a great feeling when a plan comes together. Timing is easy. when you have someone set it for you, have them teach you so you can do it anytime. That is how we learn. I knew nothing in the 80s when I started, now I still know nothing...hehehehe.

Keep on it!

Mel

i'm have the same dilemma as yours. i'll use option 3, as i think it will "unclutter" the front of the engine, so thanks for your post. btw, since your fuel pressure guage port is now upside down, i have seen some inline guage assemblies, so you can still run one, just not on the corner. i plan on running braided tubing from the rear of the carb and then up along the drivers side to the mechanical pump.

"67resto-coupe" said:
i'm have the same dilemma as yours. i'll use option 3, as i think it will "unclutter" the front of the engine, so thanks for your post. btw, since your fuel pressure guage port is now upside down, i have seen some inline guage assemblies, so you can still run one, just not on the corner. i plan on running braided tubing from the rear of the carb and then up along the drivers side to the mechanical pump.

This gauge was an inline one that use to be located right nest to the regulator. That double line I attached to the carb came with a really tiny gauge that screwed in to the corner piece, but since the inline one fit in the hole perfectly, I decided to replace it with the tiny one. It just looks cooler because size does matter. :vic

Now the fun part, trying to clean the engine bay. :amaz Bought some Engine Brite cleaner, but it's nasty hot outside and I'm having a hard time getting motivated to outside.

Also made kind of an oops. The throttle rod is too short I guess and now the gas pedal is way too high. :ep

Make sure your linkage is correct on the carb.

Also if you use the engine cleaner you bought, so it will not go to waste then from now on use simple green. It does work and it has many other uses as well. These guys told me about it years ago when I was on VMF and had a 66 coupe that had a nasty engine bay. I didn't want to pull the engine to clean it up.

Now I am not afraid to pull the engine to clean things up, I even bought an engine hoist for my garage.

Remember cleaners and tools with multiple uses are your friend.

Mel

Simple green works great BUT if left on to long, it can strip paint or stain polished aluminum. I use it but am very careful when rinsing things off to prevent splatter.

Simple Green huh? I might have to get some of that. Hubby said the auto store was having a 2 for $4 sale on cans of Engine Brite so he bought it since I had mentioned cleaning the engine bay.

Oh and here's some pictures of the new setup and somewhat cleaner engine. Why a couple of the pictures turned out with a blue hue beats me.
Got the fuel filter in the corner near the regulator. Decided to go with my last option and swap the plug on the regulator and run a long hose from it to the carb which is wrapped in front of the valve cover down and back. I went ahead and used a matching braided hose as well to give it a nicer look than plain black. Oh and some shiney spark plug wire clamps which I still need to do the other side with. Those stupid wires are WAY to long though.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here's the other side with the new double spring. Like I said, I think the rod is too short now. The guy who swapped carbs took the rod home and shortened it to fit the edlebrock. I'm probably going to replace it with a nicer billet looking one eventually.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Now I just need to get a video of Gertrude running that way I can post it on the other forum where I met that guy who tried swapping carbs and say "Check it out! She runs! And for not having any experience with carbs, got her put back together and running in half a day with NO problems." :lol

I am betting that the fuel line will get way to hot and cause a vapor lock since it runs right above the headers........

I also feel you need a straighter pull against that accel. return spring. That angle has been known to cause a bind at full throttle.

"AzPete" said:
I am betting that the fuel line will get way to hot and cause a vapor lock since it runs right above the headers........

I also feel you need a straighter pull against that accel. return spring. That angle has been known to cause a bind at full throttle.

Hmmm.. didn't think of that. It wouldn't take much to flip it around and shorter the hose.

The spring.. I looked at previous before pictures to see where it was hooked to and the throttle rod and put it where it was before. Should I move it to the hole at lowest point?

This is stolen from your other post on return springs....this pic shows the better way of connection.
2_20_02_09_8_05_25_0.JPG

As far as the fuel line, if it drops a bit, you could have a fire going real fast too.

Pete, you beat me to it...

On the cleaning up under the hood part, I have hears of people using a wet blanket to cover the engine and parts and then they were free to repaint the engine bay. Of course you want to clean it real good. When you get the water under the hood you will want to keep the coil and distributer covered with a plastic bag. I've been know to tape them on to keep those parts dry.

After the big cleaning, get in there with some smaller brushes, even hard tooth brushes and do some fine tuning...Don't be afraid to move wires and tube in order to clean the bay up. I used some automotive conduit found in many colors and many auto parts stores.

A bit of attention to detail here and there and you will be surprised how she will clean up.

As for the rust??? I've seen many solutions to this including a new piece epoxied to the firewall. You kind of have to decide for yourself. My 65 had just a little starting to form where the export brace bolts to the firewall. I used some of the rust converter spray. I made sure to get everything covered. So far it seems to be working. I do check on it frequently.

HTH...

Mel

Ok I'll go do some rearranging with the springs and lines tonight when it cools off. Plus Hubby has my Sebring in the garage right now changing out the master cyclinder in it so I go back to driving that car again when I can't drive the mustang.

Oh incase anyone wants to hear Gertrude.. hubby got a couple Videos. Does it sound ok?

Video 1

Video 2

Second one the camera is shakey from him trying to hold it and mess with the engine.

If you are looking for engine sound or exhaust sound, it is better to get the camera out of the car. Also, it sounds like the car had a miss or something just as you let off the throttle in the first video. Really hard to get a good sound with different cameras. I had a heck of a time when I did my last cars exhaust.

Both those videos were taken with a free iphone app. :lol I'll have one of the car club guys take a peek and see what they say. I'm also going to ask them for some opinions on how to run the lines so they don't get hot. It would have been perfect if that darn thing would have fit on the drivers side of the carb. :po

Well, not knowing what the internals are for that engine, it is hard for me to tell you anything. Also as Pete said it is hard to tell with the camera inside.

I like the diamond plate. Was that a PO add?

I would be interested to see a set of pics posted of the car.

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
Well, not knowing what the internals are for that engine, it is hard for me to tell you anything. Also as Pete said it is hard to tell with the camera inside.

I like the diamond plate. Was that a PO add?

I would be interested to see a set of pics posted of the car.

Mel

Diamond plate was a PO hack job of a dash. It probably wouldn't look bad if the orginal dash was on there and the diamond plate was on it.
Here's my picture gallery of Gertrude. Still looks the same.
Kats 66 Pony - Before

Back