• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help with fuel line setup

Shortened the hose and clamped it to the shock tower. Will this work better?

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that is better.

FYI to others, I did answer her PM.....lol.....wouldn't dare ignore her.

Has anyone commented on the lack of export brace on your car? I'd highly recommend getting one, even if it is the stock 2-piece one. If you've heard this many times I apologize :scar

"buening" said:
Has anyone commented on the lack of export brace on your car? I'd highly recommend getting one, even if it is the stock 2-piece one. If you've heard this many times I apologize :scar

No worries! :) I have one. Just got it last Friday night. I just haven't gotten around to putting it on yet. Need to figure out the size of the bolts needed and go buy some.

The new position is better but still think it can be better. On that fuel line, you could run it as you showed in the second picture for the carb, going to the rear, then take the flexible line with a filter and loop it to the existing side it is hooked to, going under the regulator.

I didn't catch if anyone warned you yet but that glass fuel filter is not a great idea. If it breaks you end up pumping gas all over your nice hot engine (in your case right onto your headers!)

"AzPete" said:
The new position is better but still think it can be better. On that fuel line, you could run it as you showed in the second picture for the carb, going to the rear, then take the flexible line with a filter and loop it to the existing side it is hooked to, going under the regulator.

You mean like this?

liney.jpg

I didn't catch if anyone warned you yet but that glass fuel filter is not a great idea. If it breaks you end up pumping gas all over your nice hot engine (in your case right onto your headers!)
Hmm no one's mentioned that before. That filter was a PO thing. I'll look around for a differnt kind though if that one isn't safe!

That's it. You should be able to route it so it is clear of all hot parts. Be sure not to attach it solid to the firewall close to the engine as it needs a bit of free movement space. Work it around and see what it will do. Cleaner look too.

The glass filter thing could be a problem. I normally use the plastic ones but I believe the '66 has a glass one John put on it. I don't know of any breaking while in use.

I have been using the glass filters since I was 16. I am now much older than that. Never one problem. The key is making sure to route it so that the glass will not get broken. I have one on both of my cars and would not hesitate to put on on any car.

This has been debated to death here and on other sites. the crowd is split on it. I admit the glass can be an issue because if it breaks it can leak fuel on a hot area like exhaust and catch fire. this is why you should be aware of where it is located and make sure it in secure and can not get broken during normal driving.

Mel

I used them for a lot of years as well, Mel, without incident. That doesn't make it the best thing to do. The thing is it only takes that one break to cause a very dangerous situation. For a very little amount of cash you can swap out to something much safer.

"Horseplay" said:
I used them for a lot of years as well, Mel, without incident. That doesn't make it the best thing to do. The thing is it only takes that one break to cause a very dangerous situation. For a very little amount of cash you can swap out to something much safer.

I don't think it is any safer to have an ugly plastic filter on you car. I think if it was that unsafe the NHTSB would have made sure they were illegal. I don't think I have read of any car fires caused directly by the glass filters. I have heard about fires that were started and melted the plastic filter and then it got way worse. In fact I bought an El Camino once from I guy that got burned up to the point he could not work on cars any more who had a garage fire caused by a torch and made worse by the plastic filter melting.

So, my point is there is fuel going through any filter you use. If it is plastic you need to make sure it is in a safe area, if it is glass you need to make sure it is in a safe area. Either way the risks are the same in my opinion.

Mel

I have used the glass filters for years, 1...because I'm cheap and it can be cleaned.
2. The location and how its mounted is where most run into trouble with them breaking.

On a side note, I have repaired 2 fire damaged cars caused by leaking fuel filters.
One was a plastic round filter owner installed 4in up from pump.
It rubbed on the cyl head and sprayed the head and exhaust.
The other one was a metal round filter, owner installed it resting on the intake and vibrations
wore a hole in it. If he would have shortened the rubber line at the carb an inch moving it up it wouldn't have set fire to his eng.

Now I'm confused. :lol So which way I should I run the hose? The setup I have now, I just checked and the little fuel filter is 4 inches away from the inner fender and there's some jiggle room but there isn't a chance it would hit anything. If I move it like AzPete suggested where it hangs down, the filter will hang really close to the firewall. Close enough that if it moved around too much (big pot hole or something) it might smack against the firewall.

Got to love photoshop. :lol

So like this? And mount it where? On the firewall near the red cable?

line.jpg

What about interfering with heater core later on when I add one? Atleast I think thats what belongs in that huge hole that was covered up by a diamond plate.

Back