• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help with fuel line setup

Sure. Just stay clear of the hood hinges.

I might put the filter mid way in the line where it is more under the regulator.

If you would prefer to unclutter the engine compartment, put the filter just after the electric fuel pump. I can't tell if your fuel line runs in the transmission tunnel or if it has the factory steel line that exits in the front drivers side inner fender near the bottom.

I used to use the glass filters with the plastic mesh but found that they really didn't filter the fuel that much. I pulled the top off my Edelbrock carb and there was quite a bit of sediment in there. I have since bought a metal round filter off the wall from the local parts store and the bowls of the carb are now clean. The metal canister style filter may not be cleanable, but for as little as we drive these cars and for how long a fuel filter lasts it really isn't a deal breaker. A $5 new filter every 40k miles or so is something I can handle.

"buening" said:
If you would prefer to unclutter the engine compartment, put the filter just after the electric fuel pump.

Thats under the car right next to the gas tank....That's too much work jacking up the car and getting under there and messing with it. :lol

Pulled from a different thread, but thought it goes well into this thread.

"daveSanborn" said:
I'm fairly certain that you'll become quickly frustrated trying to use a saw to cut through steel braided line. The teeth of the saw snag on the individual pieces of braiding and it usually makes a mess. A cleaner method of cutting braided line is to use a high RPM cutting wheel.... such as your dremel tool.

I like to cut braided hose with a sharpened mason chisel.

Here's a video link: Earl's hose cutting tips

Kat,

Here you go. Avoid all of the clutter and issues of un-neccessary components/fuel connections in the engine compartment.

3_22_09_09_6_33_57_4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
"turq66" said:
Dave, how do you change that filter without taking a gasoline bath?

Clamp the rubber hose between the filter and the tank. Kat, that picture that Dave has was exactly what I was recommending, and no you don't have to jack the car up to do it. Jump on a creeper and slide underneath the car below the gas tank.

"buening" said:
Kat, that picture that Dave has was exactly what I was recommending, and no you don't have to jack the car up to do it. Jump on a creeper and slide underneath the car below the gas tank.

I just went and looked and there is no way I could fit on a creeper under there to reach the electric fuel pump area. And no I'm not fat. :lol Maybe whenever I have a little texas repair party, I'll let someone else mess with it though!

"Kats66Pny" said:
I just went and looked and there is no way I could fit on a creeper under there to reach the electric fuel pump area. And no I'm not fat. :lol Maybe whenever I have a little texas repair party, I'll let someone else mess with it though!

I can slide under my gas tank laying on a creeper... and I'm not fat either, just "big boned". Just saying.

I must share....when my daughter was about 16/17, she started to drive and wanted to learn some basic maintenance. I will never forget the first time she changes the oil and came out from under the car. Her chest had gone all across the floor pan as she rolled on the creeper. The first thing she said to her mom when she stood up was "look mom, I got my boobs dirty, and I changed the oil". After that, I always had to set the jack stands a notch higher for her work. We still laugh about that.

Its a fact, boobs do get in the way. :cry I have maybe an inch or two of clearance laying flat on my back on the garage floor (w/no creeper) between my sweater kittens and the gas tank. If I try to slide under the side (near passenger door), I can't even fit. :lol

Boobs are a curse. :po

"daveSanborn" said:
I can slide under my gas tank laying on a creeper... and I'm not fat either, just "big boned". Just saying.

It's amazing how a few beers every day or so can make those bones so much larger than before...

Kat, I sometimes wonder what you'd do without our helpful advice. Once again I'm here to rescue you.

Before you slide under the car on your creeper, outstretch your arms to let any protrusions settle down to your sides... then slide under the car.

"daveSanborn" said:
Kat, I sometimes wonder what you'd do without our helpful advice. Once again I'm here to rescue you.

Before you slide under the car on your creeper, outstretch your arms to let any protrusions settle down to your sides... then slide under the car.

:lol well... um.. how do I say this... my plastic surgeon didn't make them so they can hang that way.

"Kats66Pny" said:
:lol well... um.. how do I say this... my plastic surgeon didn't make them so they can hang that way.

:lol Instead they are all up in your neck trying to choke you

Sweater kittens? Meowers?

Dave beat me to it regarding filter location. Though I don't have an electric pump here's a pic of Shag's filter keeping the entire fuel line clear of particles. Yes, all I do is pinch the rubber pieces shut when replacing the filter.

4_28_04_10_6_29_10_0.JPG

I'd go to VatoZone and buy one of the $40 Carter 7psi electric pumps, mount it in place of the Holley pump, and sell the noisy arse Holley and regulator on corral.net or here for ~$100. Would certainly simplify the plumbing and get the lines the chicken fluck away from the headers and back to the factory routing (assuming the PO didn't screw that up too)

Edited to add, there is just NO need for an externally regulated electric pump your average carb'ed car. Good for a nitrous motor, yes, but otherwise??

Redoing the lines, again. Last night the guys pointed out I needed to hook up the vacuum lines so I did that, and also pointed out some options on how to run the line. Having someone show you in person sure helps!

One of the options was this. It's just sort of stuck together right now. Didn't bother tightening anything up so easily moved/changed.

I flipped the tube thing around so the opening points toward the firewall - removed the pressure gauge all together even though it looked cool.
I left the fuel filter in the engine bay until I can get a different one and put it underneath near the fuel pump. My only concern about putting it under the car is it not being visible so remembering to change it might slip my mind.

IMG_4019.jpg

Of course since the fuel filter is still there, about the only place I could put it was running next to the firewall which worries me since it's really close. I was thinking of using a clamp (rubber insulated one) to help secure it along the firewall. If I should do that, would it be best to clamp around the filter itself or on the braided hose just past the filter?

Back