• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Homeowner Kills Robbery Suspect

As a general rule, I do not take delight in the death of other people. There are exceptions, of course, but that is reserved for the most heinous of people.

IMHO, A home invasion is a terrible crime. But not one that warrants death.

HOWEVER, when you enter someone else's "sacred space," just by you being there, I believe that makes you a threat. If the people who live there take their natural right to defend their their lives, the lives of their family, and their homestead...Well sorry for ya. You gambled and lost. No tears from here.

Steve

Not gonna lose any sleep here. Steve, I'm glad you differentiated between "home invasion" and "threat". I thought I was reading the football owner's response there for a minute.

You can here also without the Castle doctrine. Some states have laws that read you have to retreat if at all possible before using deadly force.

Not happy that the dude is dead but happy about the warning it would serve to send to others who might be considering entering someone else's home.

My neighbor two doors down is a little old retired lady who had someone in her house at 4 a.m. a couple of weekends ago. My personal thought is if you are in my home and it is dark or dim light then I have no idea who you are, why you are there, what your intentions are, if you are armed or not / what you might be armed with. Luckily here in Texas we have the Castle doctrine but even if we didn't I'd pull the trigger. For all you would know he might be there to kill your wife and kids and honestly better him than the family.

You reap what you sow and if you don't want to get shot the easy solution is get a job and stop breaking into homes.

"RustyRed" said:
You reap what you sow and if you don't want to get shot the easy solution is get a job and stop breaking into homes.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Exactly Rusty. In a situation like this, even without the Castle doctrine, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

It's the law in my town that homeowners must own a gun. Here's an excerpt about why and the results. Of course, I'm in full compliance, and couldn't be more pleased with the law and it's results.

KENNESAW, Ga - Several Kennesaw officials attribute a drop in crime in the city over the past two decades to a law that requires residents to have a gun in the house.

In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

Then-councilman J.O. Stephenson said after the ordinance was passed, everyone "went crazy."

"People all over the country said there would be shootings in the street and violence in homes," he said. "Of course, that wasn't the case."

In fact, according to Stephenson, it caused the crime rate in the city to plunge.

Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said following the law's passage, the crime rate dropped 89 percent in the city, compared to the modest 10 percent drop statewide.

Kennesaw, GA. gun law - although I admit I'm subject to conspiracy phobias, my initial reaction was this is what happens when the NRA goes wild--everybody will be forced to own a gun. However, I did go look up the law and it does exempt felons, psychologically disturbed people, poor people, as well as those that might object due to conscience, etc. If it works, go for it.

Sheesh....that burglar got off easy. Had I caught him breaking into my house, I would have made him eat some of my cooking.

"monkeystash" said:
It's the law in my town that homeowners must own a gun. Here's an excerpt about why and the results. Of course, I'm in full compliance, and couldn't be more pleased with the law and it's results.

KENNESAW, Ga - Several Kennesaw officials attribute a drop in crime in the city over the past two decades to a law that requires residents to have a gun in the house.

In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

Then-councilman J.O. Stephenson said after the ordinance was passed, everyone "went crazy."

"People all over the country said there would be shootings in the street and violence in homes," he said. "Of course, that wasn't the case."

In fact, according to Stephenson, it caused the crime rate in the city to plunge.

Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said following the law's passage, the crime rate dropped 89 percent in the city, compared to the modest 10 percent drop statewide.

Great law!!

Go to any place that has a gathering of folks with guns (except criminals), it's my experience that they are the most friendly and polite people. I have never been afraid when I'm in situations like that, on the contrary, that's when I feel the safest.

"silverblueBP" said:
Great law!!

Go to any place that has a gathering of folks with guns (except criminals), it's my experience that they are the most friendly and polite people. I have never been afraid when I'm in situations like that, on the contrary, that's when I feel the safest.

I'd feel safer in the situation you describe than I would on the campus of most colleges or New York where the bad guys would know I am not armed and basically not afraid to try anything since they are armed.

Back