• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hood Alignment

MD69Boss

Suspected Troll
I am not super happy with the way my hood sits. It has bothered me peripherally for awhile but am finally gonna see about getting it to sit flush this weekend.
The rear passenger corner sits just a bit higher than the fender and cowl when closed, maybe an 1/8" higher than I would like.
Anyone have experience with this? I am thinking that loosening the three spring bolts on the inner fender will allow me to adjust the spring a little lower, does that sound right?
Would love to hear the voice of experience here, thanks!

What ever you do, place painters tape around the perimeter of the hinge so that if moving it fails, you can easily put it back to where it currently is... The tape also provides a good reference gauge as you make adjustments. One thing I've heard which sound counter-intuitive but seems to work is to rotate the base rear ward ( raise the front port of the hinge base on the apron side... or lower the back edge) My understanding is that the rotation brings the hinge closer to the correct closed position which should drop the hood out back.

Typically when the back corners of the hood is higher than the cowl, you simply loosen up the 3 hinge to inner fender apron bolts and lift the front of the hood. This will cause the hinges to rotate rearward and down. Yes? No?

Doesn't your bro have this same issue? Maybe you can throw a hood lowering party in the parking lot of a local h00ters?

Hooters ??? or was it hood ????

Adjusting the hood is tricky cause the hinges are a pain in the a$$ to adjust.

As Craig mentioned .

Good luck !!

BTW ,we don'thave hooters overhere !! :(:(

Sounds pretty straight forward, I like the painters tape idea, that my socket wrench and a towel to ensure no hood to cowl painted surfaces touch and patience should be all I need.
My hinges are fairly new, so one less variable there...
And Craig, while my brother does have a host of issues, hood/ cowl alignment isnt one of them...
Photos will be forthcoming, thanks guys...

My hinges are fairly new, so one less variable there...
I never consider a new part a sure solution. They rarely stack up to the old stuff. Not saying you have an issue with yours. Just don't rule anything out.

Back